Thursday, December 22, 2005

Christmas Spirit

Three days until Christmas. This is the first year that I find myself doing last-minute shopping. I don't know if it is age, or all the juggling I do these days, but I find that I can only concentrate on maybe three things at a time now, instead of the 5-10 that I did before. Finishing up the book, work, family, other art deadlines forced me to leave Christmas shopping until this week. I am actually enjoying it. People are happy. Excitement is in the air. Everyone is smiling. Carols are playing.

Adding to the Christmas spirit, there are still patchy areas of snow on the ground that have refused to melt...a green & white patchwork outside my window. The aroma of Christmas tree greets me every morning and the stocking are already hung by the chimney with care, thanks to Kelly. My family, house and home are awash in Christmas spirit.

Having an art spirit is like carrying Christmas in your heart all year round. The joy, the anticipation of something wonderful about to occur - the magic of it all. Right now, my husband is reading The Art Spiritby Robert Henri. It is required reading for the art lessons he is taking (a long time desire finally being nourished). It's the same copy that I read when I took those lessons. It has a place of honor on my bedside bookshelf so that I can thumb through it often or when I need an art spirit refill.

"After all, the object is not to make art but to be in the wonderful state which makes art inevitable." Robert Henri

"I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year." Charles Dickens

Do you see (feel) the similarity? This is my Christmas message to you: Do whatever it takes to keep the spirit alive, whether you call it Christmas spirit, art spirit or the spirit of joy. Keep it in your heart and share it freely with others. The more you give away, the more it fills you. Magic is like that.

3 comments:

Paul Lester said...

Leslie, inspiring entry! It's great Buddy is taking that art class. Very cool. Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas!
Paul :)

claudine hellmuth said...

merry christmas Lesley!!

Scraps of my Life said...

Hi Lesley-it is Lynn from England.Neat that Buddy is taking an art class-is he going to do some art with you?I love Christmas too!