Friday, December 30, 2005

What a Difference a Day Makes

The sun was shining when I awoke today. One of the pleasures of winter break is being able to sleep in and awaken to sunshine. I still didn't have a plan, but I was very optimistic today. As I went into the studio I though, "Why not just make some Fragments and get the flow going?" and then the damn broke. THe magic was in color. I was playing with some silk, some deeply saturated colors. This led me to saturating the color in my photos. I practically floated down to the computer to print rich, deep saturated color photos onto fabric. Still floating, chuckling inside at my secret (that I was ON to something, back up to the studio (ok, so it's my bedroom, but during the day, it's a studio). Anyway, I knocked out seven gorgeous Fragments....but that is only the beginning. These will be something more. I will stitch, embellish, add with abandon.

You see, it dawned on me that I didn't have to start from scratch. I could use what I knew (my Fragments) to create a bridge to where I wanted to be. These embellished Fragments will be my stepping stones. I already know that even if I don't know where I am going, that I have to take a step forward.
...if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he had imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. ~ Thoreau
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness hass genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

These are two quotes I live by. Sometimes I forget. Yesterday I forgot. Today I went into the studio anyway because the one thing I have learned in this art life is to just make art ~ even if you don't know what you are doing, spirit does.

4 comments:

claudine hellmuth said...

yay Lesley! I am so excited! Can't wait to see what you've been up to.

happy new year!!

artjunk~ said...

Lesley--I have your book and you've been such an inspiration to me (esp.the art block example in your book). I think of it as I have 4 kids and lack time. I am testing the waters right now and am at the beginning of my art journey. My girls are joining me. My biggest thing is getting started and being afraid of "messing up", artist like you encourage me to keep going with it and practicing "doing it anyway!". Thanks again, Lia

Scraps of my Life said...

Hi Lesley it's Lynn from England!Your book has inspired me too-I can say I knew her BEFORE she was famous!!

Colorsonmymind said...

What an inspiring post. I just stumbled on your blog today and don't have the time to linger but I will be back to read more!