Thursday, March 09, 2006

A Look into the Future

How funny that I never have any time, but now here I am making 3 - yes, three posts in one week. Most likely I'll disappear for the rest of the month as things get busier and busier. Why? Because, for the first time, I will be a vendor and not a teacher. I will have a booth at a very big show - the Chicago Quilt Festival. It's all part of the collaboration with Cloth Paper Scissors and Quilts, Inc. to marry the world of fabric and mixed media ~ something I have been advocating for years. Why can't we all just get along? We all love to create, so why limit ourselves to just one medium, or lump ourselves in to groups such as quilters, scrapbookers, or collage artists?

Paper by Basic Grey

Who can resist the lure of scrapbooking supplies lining the shelves of the local crafts store....handmade papers and the amazing new paper designs from the scrapbook companies. I can't. You can see them popping in frequently in my art.

So I will be there, selling some of these little treasures and (ta da) fabric bundles from my very own stash. I am making color coordinated packets to go with my Fabric Altered Books DVD. I'll have my Fragments, and new for me - Image Transfer Kits that will include a CD of images from my personal collection, transparencies and ColorTextiles printer fabric.

I'll be doing transfer demos on the show floor in the "Make It U" section, Saturday afternoon from 3-4 on April 8th. And when there's time, I'll be working on fabric altered books in the booth. I hope you can stop by.

I have really enjoyed putting the fabric bundles together. I could just play with and combine fabrics all day. Imagine an endless supply of color and texture. Is there a job like that anywhere?

10 comments:

risa said...

thank you for this work!!! i too have wondered why there isn´t more overlap. wish i could go to the fair, but it´s a long trip from quito. :)

lynn said...

I can't wait to buy some coordinated bundles to make some Altered Books....I bet you are excited about the Quilt Show!!!Love,Lynn!!

pam said...

Good luck and have fun Lesley! I sooo agree, I fall for all supplies, everywhere. It feels like all the creative worlds you mention are starting to mix and mingle more, I sure hope so, stimulation is everywhere. Congrats on your DVD. xox

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

this vintage fabric is lovely, it reminds me of French fabric for jupons or boutis!

Lynn Simpson said...

Lynn says-I am really impressed that you did 3 posts in one week-your pictures are beautiful..can't wait to see you at HOME in April!!

Corey Moortgat said...

Hi Lesley! Thanks for looking at my blog! I look at yours frequently, just haven't ever left a comment... Yes, aren't the new scrap papers wonderful? I never thought I'd be shopping in that section of the craft store! And I completely agree about loving to put different fabrics together- sometimes the strangest combinations are the most pleasing- so fun!

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

Where are you? I miss your news!

I need orange said...

When you find that job putting colors and textures together, I hope you'll let us know -- I could do that all day and all night, too.

Deborah said...

Amen Amen Amen! You are so right about the impending convergence of art quilts and mixed media. You're on the cutting edge! Though I won't see you in Chicago, I'm hoping to see you in Dallas in May! Yippee!

judy hubnik said...

Lesley,
I could not make it Chicago.
But, will you be in Houston in October?
Judy