Thursday, April 13, 2006

My Kind of Town, Chicago is.....

Here I am, in LaLas Land, my booth at the Chicago Quilt Festival. It was a whirlwind experience. Thursday we set up. This photo is the booth ready for action. The show opened at 5pm, closed at 10pm. We went right to our room, put our feet up and crashed, so we would be ready for the Friday, 10 am to 7 pm. I didn't get any pictures from the rest of the show. There were some lulls the booth traffic, but not many. Being right next to the Make It U section (which was a HUGE success), meant that there was a lot of foot traffic all weekend long. And then when I was not in the booth, I was walking the show floor, seeing if there was anything that needed to go home with me. Of course I could not have done it without the help of the magnificent and beautiful, Missy Story, friend extraordinaire. Tracy Stilwell of Artgirlz took a great photo of us which I will post as soon as Missy sends it to me (hint, hint, Missy)

Here I am teaching my sold out Transfer class. In fact all of the Make It U classes were sold out. People lined up to sign up and unfortunatley many were turned away as we only had 25 seats. It'll be bigger and better in Houston (November 2-5). I hope you will join us. On the wall behind me you can see some of the ATCs (Artist Trading Cards) sent in to Cloth Paper Scissors for the big trade at the show. It was so exciting to enlighten so many new people to the fun things going on in the world of mixed media.

Next Thursday I am off to teaching at the beautiful Greenville Arms 1889 Inn in the Hudson River valley of New York. Another quilter, Melody Johnson, is there right now and giving me (and you) a sneak preview on her blog. Looks like my diet will have to wait a while. It's also my 35th anniversary (April 17th) so my husband is coming with me. And better yet, we are taking the train from DC to Hudson, NY. He will explore while I teach. I am looking forward to this trip for many reasons, and the latest one is that a dear friend, Loretta, will be taking my class. We met years ago at Artfest and have stayed in touch over the years - something that is much easier to do now with our blogs.

Happy Easter and Passover and HAPPY SPRING. I'll be back soon.

2 comments:

Lynn Simpson said...

Hello from Lynn in England-What a fantastic post on the Quilt Show-I am already saving to come to Chicago next year and see you and hopefully also spend some time with my friend Debbie Kinney Tucker,who recently moved from Arlington,Virginia to Marion ,Illinois(I hope to visit with her after the Quilt Show whereI will take your Transfer Class and hopefully some other ones too-Your booth looks great and I can't wait to hear how things sold-I have some more ideas for you!!I can't wait to hear all about your trip to the Hudson River Valley-it sounds like you will have a romantic time....you deserve it and I am sure you are looking forward to it!!(I hope you are saving your airmiles so we can meet at the Birmingham Quilt Show and travel to our house and around-or meet in London for GIRL TIME!!!)See you soon now-Love,Lynn!!!!

Deborah said...

Congratulations on your anniversary! I'm a big fan of marriage and you should certainly celebrate!