Thursday, May 04, 2006

Getting Down to Work

It seems like ages since I have been in the studio. The axiom - the longer you've been away from the work, the harder it is to get started, has once again proven itself to be true. It's not that I don't have ideas or want to create, it's that I have so much to do that I don't know where to begin and hence, the dizzy tizzy in the studio.

I did this journal page Thursday for the Self-Portrait round robin I am in, stitching on paper, collaging fabric and over-dyeing the whole thing with fluid acrylics - a self-portrait in the looser sense - me as an extension of my new sewing machine, a Bernina 630. It's my first "sewing computer" as they call these computerized machines and I love it. It arrived about a month ago and I've been adding decorative stitches in my work, just the tip of the iceberg as far as the machine goes.

I leave again for Art & Soul Dallas next week. I'm teaching 3 classes and doing a day of individual Creativity Coaching and Critique sessions. When I was just starting out I really wanted to sit down with someone and see if I was on the right track with my art. A few well placed comments and evaluations made all the difference in my level of confidence, and kept me heading in the direction of my dreams when I got cold feet or thought I wasn't good enough. So here I am, offering that to others...wanting to make a difference, giving back, or paying it forward. Yes, Pay if Forward. I like the implication of the phrase "paying it forward" as opposed to "giving back". There's more growth in forward movement.

I seem to be rambling on this morning, carried off on tangents. Perhaps I should take this energy into the studio. ~

6 comments:

Julaine said...

Incredible, Lesley - Thanks for sharing your new "portrait" and for wanting to share your gifts with others...

Lynn Simpson said...

I love the colours in your post-so vibrant and alive!My current issue of CLOTH,PAPER,SCISSORS got lost in the post so I emailed and am being sent another one-I am anxious to get involved in a round robin or something...I am really enjoying my art!!Love ya,Lynn

Karen said...

that sewing machine looks SERIOUS!! I am sure you'll put many many miles on it :) & a soon to be granma, huh? you'll be the coolest granny EVER. you are going to love cuddling the new little one- hen nico was a newborn i seriously held him ALL the time, blissfully.... have a great time in dalas, send hugs to everyone.... claudine is coming to ny next week! i'm sure your ears will be burning ;)

nina said...

oh, god, now i'm paranoid about the self portrait i'll need/have to do! argh!!!!!!!! yours is absolutely beautiful, and as always, a hard act to follow. doesn't it make you feel good to receive accolaides (sp?) from the next one behind you on the list?!xoxoxo

Cay Denise said...

This is lovely and seems atypical from what you normally do. It feels loose yet organized and spontaneous!

Lynn Simpson said...

Hope you had a great time in Dallas!Write soon!Lynn from Merrie Olde England!!!