Friday, May 19, 2006

In the Merry Merry Month of May

This time last week I was at Art & Soul in Dallas teaching my Transfer Master class. We all had a wonderful Mothers Day weekend. I don't think anyone missed being home for Mothers Day. We could not think of a better way to celebrate than by being with like-minded souls and spending the day creating. As events go, it was small, but the energy level was high..Enthusiam, creativity and art took center stage. This teaching trip took on special meaning for me because it was the first time I offered individual coaching sessions. I called them Creativity Critique Coaching sessions, leaving them open-ended for anyone to get feedback on whatever area of the artmaking life that they needed. I love being in the classroom sharing what I know about materials, techniques and design, but working one-on-one with someone, helping them find or define their path in the arts - well, it was, it is magical. Maybe magical isn't the right word, but it did feel that way. I felt like I had finally found my heart's work. I started on this path in the arts to share my own discoveries and to do what I could about spreading the word on the magic of artmaking - how it can change your own life and those around you. It changed mine, filling all the voids I still felt even though I was living a blessed life - the Life of Riley, so to speak. So I offer myself as a guide - either in the classroom or at the conference table. Annie Bevan sums it up best -
Art is our memory of love. The most an artist can do is say, let me show you what I have seen, what I have loved and perhaps you will see it and love it too.

Here we are at a good Tex-Mex dinner Friday night: Susan Smith, Keely Barham, Claudine Hellmuth, me and Laurie Mika. It was our only escape from the hotel. We ended our big Texas night out at Lowe's and Wal*Mart (doesn't everybody) stocking up on munchies and picking up last minute class supplies. Today I am off to Philadelphia to spend the weekend playing with the Oiseaux Sisters I can't wait to report on that.

5 comments:

nina said...

i missed being there with the gang - xoxo

Deborah said...

So. Much. Fun.

I just loved being in your class and meeting all the other wonderful artists from around the world.

Thank you for your spirited generosity!

Lynn Simpson said...

Lynn from England sure loves reading your Blogs-it is so inspiring art is love when making things for loved ones or capturing a memory for the furture...Keep on Creating!! Lynn

Laurie M. said...

Hi there,
It was nice meeting you at A&S...the picture from the restaurant turned out great! I wish I had taken my camera too. Sounds like you are back into the swing of things....take care and stay in touch...I'll see you in Portland!
Laurie Mika

Olga (Miami) said...

Lesley,
I can't stress enough about how inspirational you are. Thanks for being so special and sharing with us a part of your life and art.
Best regards,
See you next time!