Friday, May 19, 2006

Teacher/Mentor/Friend

I met Judi 10 years ago. It was a turning point for me. I had just had my 6th child and was trying to figure out how to combine art & motherhood. I registered for an evening class at the Corcoran School of Art - Unlocking Creativity. Perfect title, as I knew it was there, I just didn't know how to tap into it. I was the oldest student in the class, 43 years young, but the closest in age to Judi, and we shared the common bond of art. I don't remember much about the class, only the one pivotal assignment - turn a negative into a positive. I had a week to mull that one over....how open ended could you get?

The biggest negative I was facing at the time, was time...my lack of it. How could I turn that into something positive? It was then that I discovered how to make time. Funny thing was, it had been there all along, but I hadn't recognized it for what it was. I began to notice 5 minutes here, 15 minutes there. The ordinary minutes that occur throughout every day that we usually ignore or fill with meaningless nothingness. So I captured those 5 and 10 minute opportunities to work on my art. Looking around for some concrete way to present this to the class, I recorded my found time on blocks, blocks of time!

Shortly after that class, Judi wrote a profile article on me for Arts & Crafts magazine. As the years passed, we had sporadic communication and meetings - I went to her book signing, we emailed, I visited her studio, she reviewed my book....but we let the dailiness of life get in the way - and we only live 4 miles apart!

Serendipity brought us together again this week. Both of our careers have grown. Judi now writes articles, book and product reviews for several magazines. She still teaches at the Corcoran and always tells her students about the student who found blocks of time. We have made a promise to carve out blocks of time from our lives to meet regularly. It's important to share conversation, art, ups and downs, the highs and lows of living an artful life. Thank you, Judi, for being part of my journey.

7 comments:

Deborah said...

What a blessing to make this connection. I struggle with time too! (And I only have TWO kids.) The guardian angel I did for the Quilting Arts challenge was all about time. Using those blocks of time is so important. I also think it's important to not be in a hurry. If we use the time laid out before us thoughtfully, the art will happen as it is meant to be.

MargaretR said...

I think that is one of the best posting I have read.
I am retired and am busier than ever, but as you say 5 minutes here and 15 there. I can and will make the time. Thank you for sharing. The friendship you have is worth setting by those blocks of time for.

Lynn Simpson said...

I will also use my blocks of time-friendship is so important-friends are the family you PICK YOURSELF!!!Thank you for your friendship,time and art inspirations!! Love,Lynn

claudine hellmuth said...

how wonderful that you met up again! I can't wait to hear about your workshop!!

xxxox

maggiegracecreates said...

I love this entry and I love the way you represented "blocks of time". I have created story boxes for me and my best friend out of old cigar boxes and I love your presentation. carving out the time to nurture yourself and friends is so important and you have just reminded me of that again.

bless you.

Country Girl said...

I love the 'blocks of time', it makes it more 'real' when you can see them, and hopefully I will be able to take this and actually put my blocks of time together to 'make' some more time for my creative side.

thanks to you
Lesley

juju said...

First of all: Oh my god, you have six children!!!
Secondly: That was a lovely post.