Sunday, June 11, 2006

G Street Fabrics

This weekend was non-stop activity. For someone who enjoys being a homebody, I had so much fun this weekend that I didn't miss my weekend art time (well not much). Friday evening I went to a bridal shower for my nephew's future wife ~ only to realize that I'm one of the old aunts now...when did I get old? Then Saturday was a full day of teaching at G Street Fabrics, the local fabric store that I grew up in. It was a wonderful (and talented) group that included not only the current education director, but the past education director. I felt honored! While everyone produced well thought out and beautiful quilts, I was lax in taking photos of them all. I did manage to get my camera out for those students who lingered late. Here is the quilt Kay made. Kay recently gave up practicing law to be a full time fiber artist ~ she has a promising career ahead of her.
Suzanne has a cool business too. She recycles old hats into purses. I didn't get to see any, but I just got an email from her with her website address. I can tell by the piece she made in class that they are funky and fun - just like her.
The last quilt is by the G Street Education director, Donna. She says she has a dream job. I think she's a dream ~ her work is great too! She already has me scheduled to teach there next April.



My G Street days have come full circle. I started as a wide-eyed fabric shopper back in the 70s when it actually was located on G Street in downtown Washington, DC. I have taken many classes at the store's Rockville, MD location, and now I have taught there. It will take me a lot of teaching to ever come close to the amount of time and money I've spent there over the past 30 years. I did spy a table full of dupioni silks as I left the store. Guess I'll be back soon. Stay tuned for the rest of the weekend events.

4 comments:

nina said...

how lucky they are to have you so close by! and how lucky YOU are to have such a wonderful shop and talented students.
lesley, you definitely have your own style. i'm so very proud of you. shine on, girl, shine on....xo

Lynn Simpson said...

Lynn said-I feel like I am there when I read your Blog!! Go,girl,go!! Love,Lynn

Anonymous said...

Lesley-

What fun to read your blog and see myself in your class picture. I'm working on my piece and will send you a photo when I finish. Since I'm not a quilter or an experienced fabric artist, I am having to think out the order in which to attach elements. I'm assuming that this will come easier with time. So, you'll be back at G Street next April.

Casey

Lisa said...

I so wish I could have taken this class (I had it circled and kept reading the description longing to tak eit). I knew I wouldn't be able to get away (b/c of my young kids) seeing as CHA is a few weeks away (and hubby will be in charge then on his own). Any chance you will teaching at the Centreville G Street in the future? I used to live closer to the Rockville one but now am closer to Centreville. G Street rocks!!