Sunday, June 04, 2006

June Bug


I've got the June Bug. It's what you get before the hazy, lazy days of summer. A sort of unwinding and mellowing. I spent Thursday and Friday at the MD Art Expo,, sponsored by Artist's Magazine. It was their first time on the east coast and while I was more than thrilled for them to finally be here, the rest of the east coast wasn't all that excited, because attendance was really low. Some teachers only had 2 students in their class. I took a painting class with Betsy Dillard Stroud. I wanted to do something new and outside of my comfort zone. We used another brand of fluid acrylics to paint a sheet of 300 lb watercolor paper and then cut it up to collage. It was fun but I missed my Goldens. The next day was a class with the Golden Paint working artist, Patti Brady. I learned so much! Even Patti can't keep up with all the paints and mediums Golden has, but she gave us a great overview and I discovered a lot of cool things I can use in my work and share in my classes. The Art Play piece is one of the projects we did, working with fluid acrylics, tar gel and absorbant ground. So I'm happy that I'll be home most of the month and can play in my studio. I have two local teaching jobs and will go to the Fresno Art Museum at the end of the month for the opening of our Women of Influence show. Maybe you remember the 6 part series about the journal collaboration in Cloth Paper Scissors a couple of years ago.

Now, as we all know, a large part of summer is READING. I love it but it really cuts into my art time. These new books are trying to draw my attention away from making art: A Woman's Path, A Weekend to Change Your Life, as well as Sarah Ban Breathnach's new one, Moving On. Reading her first book, Simple Abundance, was really a turning point in my life when it came out about 10 years ago and I was starting on my art journey.

When I don't have time for a book, I also have the juicy new issues of Quilting Arts, Raw Vision, and American Artist to peruse. I must run now - it's the Greenwich Forest Annual Picnic - and it's right in front of my house, so I best get out there.

1 comment:

claudine hellmuth said...

hi sweetie! those classes sounded like fun!!
xxox