Thursday, September 07, 2006

Fall is in the Air

It's time for me to leave home again - hit the road for my fall teaching. I have really enjoyed the past two months being home without having any major projects or deadlines hanging over my head. I learned how to relax again. I read books (just for pleasure), made art (just for fun), watched movies (because I could) and for the first time in years, felt a sense of calm. See, when you are caught up in a whirlwind, you forget what a stroll is like. It's has always been one of my strongest beliefs that if you take the first step, the universe will step up to meet you. I posted this quote by Goethe on my mirror years ago and have lived its truth ever since ~
That the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way.
The whirlwind is the life I have created and like any ride, it is exhilarating, exciting and fast paced. I thrive on it and am always ready for more. But I am going to try to balance the amusement park part of my life with more down time - I will wait to write that third book, not accept so many teaching opportunities and just take more walks.

This Fragment has one of my favorite photos on it. It is one of the new ones I have posted on my WEBSITE ~ a whole new Gallery of Fragments, the first in two years! I was so surprised that it had been two whole years since I had any Fragments for sale online. I fell in love with making them again this summer...over 100 of them. It is one of my favorite things to do, to choose a photo, find just the right quote and marry them with fabrics that sing. They are like my daily sketches done in fiber and stitch instead of pen and ink. The weird thing is, no matter how many I make, or how much fabric I use, the pile just keeps growing. I have found some beautiful fabrics recently, especially the hand-dyed and rusted fabric I used in this Fragment, from Charlene Phinney.

After my weekend at Valley Ridge, I will be off to the American Sewing Expo in Novi, MI, Art & Soul in Portland, OR, and a full week at the Quilt Festival in Houston. I will be on the hunt for fabric, friends (old & new), and fun in all three places. I hope our paths will cross. If you see me, please remind me to slow down and relax!

OH! One last thing. I am excited to be the featured artist in the Paper Scissors Crop section of the Oct/Nov issue Mary Engelbreit Home Companion magazine. I haven't received my copy yet, but it is arriving in mailboxes and on newsstands as we speak. Another one of my dreams come true. I hope yours do to.

11 comments:

nina said...

i'm so very proud of you! don't slow down so much that you do not produce all of this lovely, lovely artwork. but do breathe, read, walk, dream. i love you very much, dear friend. xoxo

Jenny said...

Wow! How beautiful!

Cindy O'Leary said...

Hey Lesley--I just finished reading your article in Home Companion--great job...again! And thanks for the Goethe quote--that one just went into my journal. See you soon in Portland! xo cindy

Joanne S said...

Where do the quotes come from? I love the idea of the photo and the bits of fabric but won't use quotes--that's your thing.

Loved seeing you in Home Companion!

maggiegracecreates said...

The article is incredible. I am continually amazed at the quality of your work.

I too wonder where you find all the quotes. Also howyou store all of them so you can find them.

Lynn Simpson said...

Lynn says Hello from England!Your work is beautiful-please send me a copy of the magazine -I loved the artwork,but couldn't read the texts!I am glad you are going to slow down abit-maybe two or one artitic opportunity a month would leave you more time for YOU-I can't wait for your second book and look forward to your third-maybe 6-9 months off will give you some YOU time!! I love your new Gallery and the I Remember MAMA quilt inside the current copy of Cloth,Paper,Scizzors!! Love to all your family,Katie and your Parents!
The English Contingent!!!

Deb said...

Congratulations, Leslie! Can't wait for my copy of Home Companion - your art is PERFECT for that magazine! Oh, what a joy this thing called life is - and even more joyous as I am lucky enough to be in one of your classes at A&S in Portland.

Try to stop and "breath" every now and then as you barrel happily through Fall.

Deb

annie lockhart said...

oh...i can't wait to meet you face to face...you inspire me beyond measure...i am at a place in my life that i need to place that quote on my mirror...and believe in it!!!it is the perfect one for me...so glad i stopped to check in with you today...teaching is something that i wish to do in the future...it changes peoples lives...to inspire and encourage creativity...that's a gift...one day i will be sitting in the front row of one of your classes!!!xo...annie

Lynn Simpson said...

Another Hello from England!! I have put that quote on My mirror too-and I have written you to Commission a Commission-I am so happy to support a friend's art-makink endeavors-I hope to be in the front row of one of your classes soon too-I still treasure the quilt you made us for a wedding present 27 YEARS AGO!!!We couldn't be that old,could we!! Please send me a copy of the magazine or just the article-and I will send payment-I can't wait to see the art in it!!
Love to all!!Lynn

Stacey Apeitos said...

Hi from Australia, Lesley! Just popped into your blog and see that ynchronicity is at work. I've been thinking about balancing work and leisure, too - Perhaps it is harder to see the boundaries when your work is creative already. I marvel at you and other popular artist/author/teachers who are always on the go. If you put yourself out there, you attract more work. You want the exposure, the rewards, but it is also nice to take time to smell the flowers and appreciate the wonders of this world. All power to you.

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

Wonderful news, wonderful post and clever as always. I loved seeing your artwork for on your blog!