Thursday, December 28, 2006

On the 4th Day of Christmas

Mini-reunion Class of 70Yesterday I had lunch with friends from high school. It takes much planning and special effort to get everyone together and even so, there were some missing. 36 years have passed since we spent every day together in our uniforms complete with saddle shoes, and bobby socks. Yes, the bobby sock days were long gone back in the late 60s but our school was slow to change. I remember working up the courage to meet with the formidable principal, Sister Mary Clair, to ask her to let us wear knee socks, especially in the winter time. It was a no-go. Imagine those Immaculata girls with their skirts rolled up at the waistbands, white bobby socks drooping around the ankles trying to be so cool when the public school kids in their hippie jeans and Birkenstocks sauntered by. We all look quite fashionable now, don't you think? Why, we don't look a bit older than we did when we graduated. My hair is now the pale, pale blonde I always wanted (OK, so it's white...platinum blonde maybe?)

I think we have all aged gracefully. Yes, there are a few extra pounds, smile lines abound, and yes, a few worry wrinkles (we are all mothers). But some are now empty-nesters and Glenda has even retired! We have suffered joy and loss, aging parents and frustrating teenagers. The beauty of it is - no matter where our lives have taken us, put us together in a room and it is 1970 again. We can pick up right where we left off. Gertrude Stein said: We are always the same age inside. So true!

These roses are days old. I love how they too have aged so gracefully, becoming more beautiful as they sag and wilt. They started out beautiful and they will come to an end just as beautifully, having done their job so well. This year is also coming to an end. Before I can look forward, I must reflect on all that has passed. Could I have done anything better? Did I make the right decision when there was a choice? Is there even a right or a wrong - is it just paths chosen on roads less taken? I am both reflecting and looking forward, determining whether to step back from all the teaching and traveling and spend time refilling the well. I am curious to see what lies inside my heart.

nothing but blue skies smiling on meI have a dear friend with whom I talk every morning. One of our catch phrases is looking up. We use it both metaphorically and literally.Yesterday I looked up and took note of this blue, blue winter sky. This song came to mind ~

Blue skies Smiling on me
Nothing but blue skies Do I see
Blue birds Singing a song
Nothing but blue skies From now on.

I never saw the sun shining so bright
Never Saw things going so right
Watching all the days Hurrying by
When you're in love, My how they fly

Those blue days, all of them gone
Nothing but blue skies, Nothing but blue skies
Nothing but blue skies, from now on.

That is my wish for you in this coming year ~ blue skies, from now on. Remember to look up.

7 comments:

Jan said...

What a lovely end-of-the-year post.
A happy New Year to you, Lesley!

dogfaeriex5 said...

how beautiful!
thank-you for always sharing bits of yourlife!
happy and healthy new year to you!
xoxo~kim

Judy Wise said...

Thank you, Lesley for a wonderous post. I had Willie's voice in my head as I read the words to the song and those words meant something different to me as I read them than they ever have before. Something more profound. Happy New Year.

katie said...

ilthbeautiful entry, lesley. the aging roses are exquisite, and i want to dive into that blue sky. and the song is one i'd like to get stuck in my head for awhile. wishing you a joyful new year!

Colette said...

I had to tell you that I sang the song out loud, especially as you providing all the words (I only know the first three lines)!

I was delighted to find out that you live in D.C. It was my home for a number of years when I was in my tender twenties and I go back to visit good friends and old haunts.

Happy New Year to you!

Laura Lea said...

Oh the roses are so wonderful. My grandmother used to talk to her roses inside vases and outside on the bush. She loved the bright colors of youth and the mellow colors of age. She lived to be 93. I hope to live as fully! "You were born young" Lesley as they said in the movie The Bishop's Wife! Thanks for the inspirational post. I moved alot and had a lot of upheaval in my life so I have never had friends through all the years like that, how wonderful for you! I did reunite with a cousin, and she's known me my whole life & like a best friend. Friends help you find reflection. I hope the New Year allows you to refill your well and listen to your inner voice and heart singing. Happy New Year to one lady who has gotten better with age and all the love she's given with her time and art has inspired many! May your heart fill with joy!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Leslie - what a lovely page to read today.
(At about the same time you were campaigning for free choice in h.s. attire, I was campaigning at our junior college for the right to wear sandals and slacks on weekdays on campus !)