Thursday, January 04, 2007

The last invitation went out the door today. My husband said I should start a new business. I said, "Only if you buy me a professional die-cutter and punch." Perhaps there was an easier way (and don't tell me if there is), but I measured and cut each one individually. Actually, it was a very relaxing and peaceful process. Even after I realized that most of them (ok, 99% of them) will end up in the trash. I thought of florists and chefs - artists whose work disappears or dies. I have always taken it for granted that when I make art it will be around for people to enjoy for a while. I guess sometimes we just work for that initial response, that little moment of delight when a viewer is moved by your work. Case in point: I was asked to make a piece for a new book Angela Cartwright is writing. (Yes, for you baby boomers, that Angela Cartwright). Anyway, she received the piece I did for the book yesterday and emailed me. She said she gasped when she saw it. Music to my ears. It so nice to know that you can create something that can have that kind of effect on someone. Maybe it's just one someone. I don't expect my work to speak to everyone. Heavens, there is plenty of wonderful art that does nothing for me, so why should I expect everyone to like what I do. It is just enough for me to know that there are people out there who like what I do - besides my mother.

I often have people ask me if it is hard for me to part with the art I create. The answer is always no. I derive all of my joy in the making, the creating part. When it is done, it is time for it to go out in the world and spread a little beauty and bring a smile. So that's what I hope for all 100 hand-painted, hand-crafted, hand-tied-with-a-silk bow, invitations. I want them to bring a moment of pleasure to someones life. Perhaps the recipients will somehow feel the love and attention I put into each one.
Yes, we do it out of love. The love that comes from the depths that speaks without the need for reason. It is pure and directs the drive and act of making art. ~ Linda Saccoccio

8 comments:

nina said...

how nice to evoke a gasp with your art, whether from a famous person or not. i get the truest pleasure from hearing my father (my greatest fan)tell me how proud he is of me - my FATHER. that makes ME gasp.
your invitations are as beautiful as you are: radiant.
i love you.

Anonymous said...

This is my first visit to your blog, and I feel like I have found the motherlode of inspiration! Thank you for sharing yourself and your talent with us. Am counting the days until your books arrive from Amazon.com.....Your fragments have inspired me to view my "first love" - fabric, as another art tool, rather than as wardrobe essential.

Your invitations are lovely! Congrats to the mother of the bride.

Stampcat2 said...

Can I ask about more details on the invitations you made? They look like something that I would love to do for my son's wedding.

Sandy

Annie Morris said...

Your invitations are beautiful. I don't think they'll be going in the bin anytime soon!! I bet they will be kept, admired, and probably used as templates for other invitations for a looong time. Beauttiful!!

There is just something so restful, medatative, peaceful - however you want to put it in making a card/invitation, each one, by hand. A lotta love goes into that.

Thank you for sharing all that you do on your blog. Brightens my day!!

Anonymous said...

Lesley, people still talk about the invitations from my wedding, 17 years ago, so although they might not have been saved, they are remembered. And who wouldn't want to hang on to a Lesley Riley original? Cate

Colette said...

I don't mind parting with my pieces, either -- and I get asked that too. I love creating them and then sending them out into the world, with the hope that it will make someone feel good, uplifted, at the very least make them smile. I bought your first book and I dip into it once in a while for the very same reason.

As for your hand-crafted invitations, I don't think they will end up in the garbage. No. People tend to hold onto hand-made things.

Cheers from a former Washingtonian.

ornamentea said...

Wonderful invitations. I am planning a 70th birthday party for my mother and am now thinking of doing invitations myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

Pamela Taylor said...

Lesley, the invitations are so beautiful. Congratulations--I know your daughter is so proud of them as works of art, but even more proud that her mother made them. I handmade each invitation for my wedding last summer (out of fabric & paper) and I still get comments on them. But mostly, it was an act of love to create them. Congratulations, Mother of the Bride! And thanks for sharing.