Wednesday, January 17, 2007

One Month To Go~

What stylish brides everywhere are wearing.Weird Fact #1 - That's my daughter in her Bridal Shower ribbon bouquet "hat".

Weird Fact #2 - It was 64 degrees at 2AM on Tuesday, and 24 degrees at 2AM today, Wednesday, January 17. Winter has finally come, hard and fast, to Washington, DC.

Weird Fact #3 - My new book, Fabric Memory Books is currently ranked #1,861 on Amazon, yet I have not even received my author copies yet. WOW, comparatively speaking that's pretty darn close to the big names like the Memory Keepers Daughter, which is #18, or Barack Obama, whose book is currently #28. Why, Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Life is #100, and everyone has heard of that!

I know my number is fleeting...tomorrow I'll probably be up in the 10,000s. But I do wish to thank everyone who has purchased my book today, making me such a high-ranking author (comparatively speaking). I say comparatively speaking, because really, outside of our little circle of quilters and mixed-media artists, who has heard of me? I have yet to appear on Oprah, and certainly haven't had my spread in Martha Stweart Living yet, nor did I even have a chance on Project Runway. I am sounding quite silly today aren't I? It is because this is the first day that I feel I have been able to breathe since November, my daughter announced she wanted to get married in February. There are 4 generations in this photo. See me and my Mom in the background, and granddaughter Emma on the right?Since that time I have been through Thanksgiving, Christmas, a bridal shower, my granddaughters (and their parents) visiting, my parents planning a move to a retirement facility, and the exciting but stressful booking of flights to Australia and Italy. I know, there's no pity deserved, none expected really, but it's all rather overwhelming for me...where did my nice quiet "read a book, take a walk" kind of life go? That's a phrase my husband made up for quiet, quaint towns we used to visit - a "read a book, take a walk" kind of town.

Needless to say, I have also been doing a lot of soul-searching since the wedding announcement. I want to be present in my life, the one I had before I began to travel and teach all over the US and now the world. It's wonderful, it has taken me places I never thought I would go, met people, seen things, done things that I never thought I would. I have told nina that I was going to take 2008 off from travelling and teaching. She does not believe me. So here I am, making a public announcement - I AM TAKING 2008 OFF FROM TEACHING.

I want to read a book, take a walk, enjoy my grandchildren and yes, make art - all at my own pace and without looming deadlines and travel itineraries. With that said, I will be keeping all of the committments I already made for 2008, but that's just a handful, Hudson River Valley Art Workshops, a small trip to France and I think there's another (my calendar isn't handy.) I mean really, who can resist this face ?Grandpa Buddy and Kathryn I'll continue this discussion later.

14 comments:

nina said...

you have incredible beauty in your life, particularly (from this post, i see) the women - your mother, your daughter, your granddaughter. what a wonderful circle, wonderful flock, that is. the world will wait for you, excitedly, in 2008, while you take a break; you deserve it. meanwhile - let's go to the SOUTH PACIFIC!!!!! xoxoxo

DubiQuilts - Debbi said...

I have asked for your book for my birthday. Enjoy your time off in 2008.

Judy Wise said...

It will all be waiting for you when you return; time will march on for your family though. I think you are making a wise decision. Congratulations.

Megan said...

What a fullfilling life you lead - such wonderful opportunities - I for one am looking forward to your trip downunder and will be the enthusiastic student in your transfer class!
And I am patiently awaitng my pre-order from amazon of your new book!
Look forward to meeting you in Australia.
Megan

Jan said...

Lesley,
I have been reading your book for the past couple of evenings and love it! I did, however, just discover last night that the printing is incorrect. It goes from p. 64 to p. 81-112 then p. 65 -80, p. 113 - 127. I'm not sure if you are aware of this ... did it happen for just a batch or the whole publication?
Jan

Tracie Lyn Huskamp said...

dearest lesley...

I am very glad you decided NOT to take 2007 off... because Marylin and I are excited to be teaching with you in November at Quilt Festival... and you JUST CAN'T take off in 2008 at least for that show... we would miss you too much.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

A BIG congratulations on your daughter's upcoming wedding. I am sure it will be Beautiful.. I think your invitations are SPECTACULAR!

Pamela Taylor said...

Lesley, I am so happy for you---art is just not as meaningful without all the love and depth of life from our families. And I applaud your decision to take time off. It goes so fast with the grandchildren! And your art will be richer after that time...because your life will be richer. Have a wonderful wedding! I am still enjoying your book...beautiful work!

Plain Jane said...

Dear Ms. #1,861. Your beautiful daughter and beautiful family will be forever grateful for your time. I think you've made a wise decision about 2008. After all, at 1,861 you can rest on your laurels!! We create our own lives, and that's exactly what you've done and will do.
Can't wait to see pics of the wedding!
Oh, and I'm half way through 'Fabric Memory Books' and it's delightful and inspiring! and all my pages are in order. :-)
xo
Jane
And thank you again a million times for including me in CPS!

claudine hellmuth said...

yay! I can't wait to see your book!!

Maybe I'll take 2008 off too! I wish!!

xxxxox

Anonymous said...

I love that the juxtaposition of the first photo of your daughter with your "signature" photo at the top of the page show you both tilting your heads at the same angle, and your eyes are identical.
Cate

Loretta said...

Can't wait to see the new book! Another treasure for m collection. I applaud your decision to take the year off for you and your family. I don't know how you've juggled it so far, esp with a wedding!!

Blessings to all,

ac said...

Lesley
There is nothing like the face of a beautiful baby to make your heart sing.
What a cutie...
I Love your new book and I know how much of ones self goes into creating a book. I love my 'Eternal Landscape' piece too...I look at it every day and feel like that person walking down that path searching for the outline of my life.

Gypsy Purple said...

How lucky we are!!

I also have a whirlwind life and decided that this is the year I HAVE to slow down and appreciate the moments around me that I am hurrying past

Both my older children are going to have babies this year (what is the chance...in the same week!!) and there is so many othre highlights

Bless you with all yours...

Chamara

katie said...

ooooh, another book - can't wait! your beautiful daughter looks so happy, what a lovely family you have. since you're not teach in 2008 i'm going to have to get in to a class with you this year!