Tuesday, February 06, 2007

What is Art?

Wonderful photo by Jonah Koch, www.kochphoto.comYou probably would rather see a picture my art. But this is my art ~ raising my daughter to fall in love with the 'right" kind of guy and living happily every after. The wedding is 10 days away and everything is in place. I almost feel aimless, wondering what I should be doing. So I have started packing for Australia, since I leave 4 days after the wedding and I know I'll be exhausted for at least 2 days afterwards.

I have met all of my other deadlines - my article and artwork to Cloth Paper Scissors, and oh - the quilt I thought was due February 1st is actually due February 1st, 2008, so I got a reprieve on that one. Thank goodness I emailed her to tell her I was a wee bit late. I work really hard to keep deadlines and committments, so the relief that I was way ahead of the game on that one was immeasurable. It gave me time to breathe!

I am putting the finishing touches on a Marie Antoinette collaboration due ~ Valentine's Day, of course. The same day the Marie Antoinette is released. I never did see it in the theatres so I am excited to get it. I pre-ordered it on Amazon. I find myself with so much free time on my hands it's a bit nerve-wracking, yet I am busy all day. Go figure. The calm before the storm I suppose.

I got a lovely email from Lynn Whipple today. She received her contributor's copy of my book, Fabric Memory Books. I really respect her opinion so it was refreshing to hear this - "HI! I got your book today, and it is marvelous. I love the bird book, such perfection! I really enjoyed spending time with your quotes. they really make you feel good, the one about the bear, it doesn't matter if an ear drops off. funny and so true. your book is a refreshing break from a busy deadline, it made me just settle in and smile. and relax. so thanks. Congratulation!! and well done!" Her words made me smile and brightened a cold, winter day.

10 comments:

nina said...

you are a true artist in every sense of the word - and just look at what is walking down those steps, hand in hand with the fine young gentleman that she loves and will soon marry. enjoy the calm before the storm - and knowing you, you'll fill that time with wonderful productivity. SO looking forward to our time together in australia/new zealand!!!! xoxoxo

Jane said...

It is lovely to read your post today- I agree "neighbor"- IT is a cold day- however so pretty from that glistening snow from last night.

XoxoxoX
Jane

deb said...

I am kind of new to fabric arts and new to your blog. Your work is beautiful and so inspiring. I can't wait to check out your book. Enjoy the upcoming wedding - I'm sure you'll be a wonderful MIL.

deb said...

OK.. yea, I'm buying it! Totally my style and I already love it just from the one photo! Just gorgeous!

Tracie Lyn Huskamp said...

lesley... your photo is lovely.. what could be more beautiful and inspiring than two people in love.

your daughter's wedding will be a moment for you to cherish...forever.

Pamela Taylor said...

Happy wedding week! I know it will be such a joyful time for your family. And you are so right--no matter what else we accomplsh in life, it is all about what we did right with our kids.... I thought about you today---it was my birthday and I actually took the day off and went to Civilization to go art and fabric shopping. And I placed another post on my blog...if you get a chance, I would love to have your thoughts. Lesley, have a wonderful time with your daughter and family this coming week. What a great work of art it is that you all enjoy each other so much....

miss*R said...

I found you somehow! that's what happens when you follow links - anyhow - you are coming to Australia! I hope the weather is wonderful and you have a great time.

annie said...

this is such a wonderful photo of your daughter and (almost) new son...what an amazing time...have a great time @ the wedding and down under...and your book looks too good to resist! xo...annie

Cabs said...

Happy to have found your blog. Congratulations on having done your "art" of child raising so well. I share your joy having been down this same path over 2 years ago with our daughter. It is such a blessing.

Catherine said...

Hi Lesley! I just discovered that Amazon has a special on with "our" books and thought that was pretty cool and wanted to share with you. Happy Valentine's Day! I have been a fan of your work for quite some time!

I am not sure if the link will work but here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/Scrapbooking-Techniques-Sewing-Paper-Scrapbook/dp/1579909876/ref=pd_nr_b_13/002-0943341-1015204?ie=UTF8&s=books