Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Wendy

two short women in the airportThey'll probably kill me for posting this photo. But it really mirrors their first words to each other. Nina & I had never met Wendy in person. We knew she would be waiting for us when we got off the plane and she had told us she would be wearing black, and probably red. I spied her right off and headed towards her. Nina's first words to Wendy were, "You're short!" and Wendy fired right back, "You're short, too!". That immediatley set the stage for the relaxed and close friendship that developed over the days we spent in Wendy's care.

end of summer in a NZ gardenFirst stop was a local shop that sold greenstone, a form of green nephrite jade found in New Zealand. Wendy knew Nina was on the lookout for stones. Then we were on to Wendy's home, driving through the rolling green hills between Auckland and Morrinsville. The garden captivated us before we even got out of the car. We immediately began to take pictures, an activity that would become central to our explorations and continue throughout the trip. There were photo ops everywhere - it was like seeing the world with new eyes. It was the NEW in New Zealand.
Wendy's ripening grapevinewebs grow in the garden

Wendy's altered booksWhen we could tear ourselves away from the garden we proceeded to the bedroom to drop our suitcases. Wendy wanted to show us her work, and proceded to open a drawer where they were all tucked away. "No, no, no," we said, "you must display your artwork." I proceded to set them up on the wee table. There's nothing better than an array of juicy altered books to stir the imagination.
my cozy bedThere was a goodie bag on each of our beds, flowers and sunshine pouring in the open window. We were home. It wasn't even noon and we already felt we had experienced a day's worth of wonder. Little did we know what Wendy had in store for us. As the days unfolded, so did the magic. We shared her home, her family, her country and her friends.. Stay tuned.

10 comments:

Kiwi Jo said...

Hi Leslie, I just discovered you blog and loved reading about your experiences of my home country (and I'm looking forward to the next installments!). I'm a kiwi who has been living in the US for the past 6 years and I'm always interested in all the little things that differ between the two countries. I'm so glad you had a lovely time.

hanne said...

Hi Lesley, this is sooo amazing: life is a wonder!

I regard Wendy a friend of mine – although I’ve never visited her. New Zealand is about as far away from Denmark where I’m living as you can possibly ge, really “down under”. Still, I know I’ll go there one day.

Can you imagine what a gift you give me; to be able to read your impressions from the place of a dear friend! Thanks! And please, do post a lot of stuff! In my mind I’ve been with you all so many times since I knew you were going to make this travel…

lk said...

OH, how wonderful! I love these postings and I adore the shots of your toes. Miss Nina looks relaxed and lovely. I can practically catch the scent of that garden!

Jan said...

Welcome home Lesley. I am enjoying reading about your travel experiences 'down under' and I just LOVE your picture of the grapes! Thank you for sharing this part of yourself with us.

wendy said...

Let me tell you all, who are reading lesleys blog and wondering, it was easy to be friends with these two ladies because they are just both so kind and generous of themselves, and i feel the lucky one for having meet them, for them taking the risk and travelling to a country and person unknown.
We just all clicked from the first moment we meet, and yes we are all the same height even lesley.....and no i wasn't that thrilled about having my photo online, i thought i was six feet tall and thin!!!
We all have special friends that we don;t get to see so often, but when we do we just carry on where we left off with the ease of knowing that person so well that we can relax and be ourselves and this is what it felt like with lesley and nina.....I can't tell you how much fun and laughter we had, we chatted about everyday things that we all seemed to have in common even though we were from different parts of the world, they both left an impression on my heart that has changed me forever!! and yes we will be friends for life!! the adventure will just continue.....
wendy from new zealand

Misty said...

I have really loved reading your words about your journey. It really sounds like you and Nina had the time of your lives, I am so glad! What a precious thing to share. and what beautiful words from Wendy. Looking forward to more.

Ailsa said...

Am I the lucky one - meeting Lesley and Nina AND living next door to Wendy!!! All lovely ladies, so inspiring,supportive and such fun to be with.

Jacky said...

Hi Lesley good to see you are safely home again.
Makes me homesick to see pics on NZ.
Was great meeting you and spending time with you in Perth.
It was a pleasure having you teach at our retreat.
Jacky

nina said...

i hate you for this.....x

Loretta said...

I am just loving your impressions, Lesley, and I feel like I was along on the trip. What a wonderful and amazing gift to yourselves to have this trip of a lifetime together. I can't wait to see all your impressions emerge in your artwork.