Friday, May 11, 2007

Idyllwild

Altered fabric collageAs I prepare and pack for Italy, I cannot help but think of my next trip. I'll be heading back to Idyllwild, CA in July to teach a 3-day class on Fabric Collage.

You can read my initial impressions here. It's in July, the midpoint in the year, the half-way marker for this, my last year of teaching for a while. Being at Idyllwild feels like you are on top of the world. It is the highest point I have travelled to, atop a mountain in Southern California. The air is so clear and crisp, a refuge from the summer heat and smog in the cities below. Last year I shared its beauty with my husband. This year we are taking my 12 year old daughter, Kelly, with us. We are still such neophyte travellers, my husband and I. Each vista, town, locale, we see through the eyes of a child.

Idyllwild vistaMy oldest, Brian, backpacked across Europe during a semester off from collage so many years ago. Child #2, Sara, spent time teaching in Turkey and Nicaragua. Chris's talent with the soccer ball got him and his team to Italy & Brazil. And Sam saw Italy with a high school sponsored trip her junior year. But the parents? We had barely stepped beyond the familiar east coast until in recent years my art became the catalyst to expand our world. In 5 days we are off across the ocean to a land of ancient civilization. "O the places you'll go" pops into mind. And I say, "Oh the places I've been." I am full of wonder. Life is WONDERful.

6 comments:

Judy said...

Have the most amazing time in Italy. I can't wait to read about it on your return. I travelled to cortona this time last year nd it was truly an amazing experience. So much to take in and experience. travel safely and Happy Mothers day.xo

Karoda said...

I smiled at your artsy slip of the tongue...did you intend to type collage for college...I thought that was cute considering just how steeped you are in collage work. Peace.

Enjoy your trip!

Loretta said...

You are inspiring me - as usual - to get out of my comfort zone and see the world through art eyes. I'm so happy for you and look forward to seeing all these locales springing up in your artwork.

The word verification is "byjlexlj" = by lesley!

Plain Jane said...

yes, Idyllwild!! and Italy, and Australia and New Zealand. My goodness girl, quite a year!

Jan said...

Lesley, I look forward to seeing you again in Idyllwild. Can't wait to hear about all your travels.

Donna said...

I am so happy your art has taken you to such heights. What a wonderful dream come true and you are so deserving. Soak up those Italian sunsets then bring them back home to us!