Tuesday, July 17, 2007

What's Really Important?

on top of the world at the Grand CanyonIt's been a while since I have posted. Please forgive me. But really, when it boils right down to it, this blog takes the backseat to my "real" life - my family. I am rolling around in the grass of family, wrapping the blanket of family around me and diving into the pool of family water. I love it. It is what I have been missing the most for the past few years while I have been being an artist, teacher, author, and editor. And as if to coincide with my yearning, my family has blessed me with their presence, both geographically and physically, multiplying by leaps and bounds. I am literally on top of the world.

kelly viewing the canyon
It still amazes me that through my art I have been not only able to see so much of the world this year, but to share it with my husband and even my daughter ~ trips that would not have been financially possible otherwise. I love what I do. As much as I love to see the light in my daughter's eyes as we gaze at the Grand Canyon or listen to Native American storytellers at Idyllwild, my fantastic Idyllwild class, minus CarolI love to see my students eyes shine when they do a successful transfer, or discover the talent that lies within. I don't think of it so much as teaching, but as sharing what I know and instilling confidence in those who come to my class. Sounds a lot like mothering, doesn't it? It's the same thing, to grow stron, confident people who can succeed with their dreams.
so close, yet so farIf you look closely, you can see the Colorado River in the upper right corner of this photo, the green dash. With my simple point and shoot camera, it is hard to get a sense of depth in this photo. That is exactly how I feel when trying to get my head around the depth of my love for for my family. I created six children. Children who are now creating their own. New mothers who need my presence almost as much as they needed me when they were born. As many of you know, I am taking next year off from traveling and teaching. When I made the decision, it was to refill my well, to find new directions in my art and spend more time with my parents as they age. The art part may still happen, but for now, it looks like it will be the year of family. I'm not complaining. Saturday we leave for a week at the beach - all 18 of the extended family in one big house. People say we're crazy ~ I couldn't be happier.

14 comments:

Pallas said...

Go and enjoy your family. Thank you for sharing the touching tribute to them with us. You are a gifted artist, and I enjoy your work and books. You are apprechiated.

DubiQuilts - Debbi said...

Family should always come first. Enjoy your time with your family. When time permits blog to let us know what you are up to.

Debbi B said...

You should join "Blogging without Obligation"! I love reading your blog and the reason is because your life is not about blogging!! Have a fabulous time.

Cre8Tiva said...

family connections...engraved on your heart...time is always too short...have wonderous barefoot days with loved ones and embrace them often...create dreams and memories...blessings, rebecca

Pamela Taylor said...

The reason your art is so beautiful is because of your gift. But the reason it is so meaningful is because of your priorities. It all shines through.
Have a wonderful week at the beach!

Adrienne said...

I have to admit, I got a little selfish, where's Leslie? I miss her posts?! Thanks for popping in and letting us know all is well, you are where you should be. You're children are blessed to have a mother like you!

kathywas said...

Have a wonderful time at the beach with your family next week! I sent you a personal email. Please let me know if you received it.

Pattie Mosca said...

This coming year will not only be a blessing to you, but also to your family...In the end, it all comes down to being the happiest person we know we can be!!!! WISHING YOU:
the sun to warm your face...the moon to light your way...a star to wish on and LOVE!

Paula Bogdan said...

Oh, but your heart knows what's important! While I regret your deciswion for myself, I am so happy for you. Your happiness shines through your posts! Have fun at the beach!

Lorri Scott said...

Good for you. I'm sure you'll let us know how your journey goes and if we don't hear from you often we'll know you're fulfilling your wishes.

Lorri

Loretta said...

I thinnk it sounds like an amazing vacation. You derive so much strength and joy from your family, as do I. Make the most of the wonderful new bebes and mothers needing their mommy. Sounds heavenly, hectic, and full of life!

Julie H said...

This sounds so perfect. Blessings and peace to you, enjoy your year. If art happens it does, if it doesn't then you will be observing God's art - nature and family - at their best.

Jan said...

Leslie,
Thank you for such a wonderful class in Idyllwild. I've posted some pages from my fabrications book on my blog. I had a great time! While we will miss you as you immerse yourself in family, what a wonderful gift that is. Take care and enjoy every moment!

Mary lin said...

Wonderful for you and your family! Everything else is nothing without family!! Cherish the moments as they pass too quickly.

Hugs