Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I'm Painting

Oh how I wish I was painting pictures. This is utilitarian painting in an attempt to get organized. Most of you know that my studio and my bedroom are one and the same. A few of you have been inside these hallowed walls and know how the studio part is overtaking the bedroom part. This wall unit is an attempt to bring some order. It was installed in my parents house and they did not take it with them when they moved to their continuing care facility. Buddy dismantled it and rebuilt it in our bedroom and now it is my job to polyurethane, prime and paint the whole thing. There are doors that fit on most of the sections, so the plan is to have a calm and relaxing view instead of the mess that corner has been. What you don't see is the other side of the room with baskets and baskets of fabric and boxes of stuff. My stackable storage boxes with little drawers full of more stuff are currently residing on the living room couch, awaitng their move back to the studio. I already know everything will not fit in this unit, but at least I am making the attempt to organize, clear out the old, unused and "what did I need this fors?"

The other organizational excitement in my life is the arrival of my Arccivo. Again, many of you know that my workspace is on my bed. This involves cleaning it off every night so we could actually go to bed. The minute I heard about this nifty case, I knew it was one of the answers to my problem. Cleaning off the bed usually meant taking a work in progress, usually on my cutting mat, and setting it in some precarious, vacant space - you know, on top of the sewing machine, on my dresser top, balanced on top of another pile (piles, really) - and then hoping that a gust of wind or an errant elbow did not knock it over.

The Arccivo is not only a workspace, but one I can safely store a work in progress with any fear that my design gets knocked out of alignment. In a collage, proper placement is 9/10s of the process, yet securing items is the final step. Now I can stop what I am doing and rest easy. Place the magnetic rubber pads on top of my work, close it up and set it anywhere - even take it over to my daughters when I babysit my sweet Julia. Perhaps it doesn't sound all that exciting to you, but to me it's peace of mind and another step toward making my bedroom studio more of an organized and relaxing space rather than an accident waiting to happen.

Thanks for all the book recommendations. I seem to be reading about 4 at the moment - 3 non-fiction and 1 fiction. One I carry with me on trips to the DR with my parents, one for bedtime reading, another for babysitting and the other for moments when I can steal 5 minutes here and there. I am looking forward to another nice long plane ride to the west coast in September (East Bay Heritage Quilters Guild classes) - lovely uninterrupted reading time!

8 comments:

Cheryl Doran-Girard said...

Looking forward to seeing you in September....
Cheryl

Pattie Mosca said...

Wish I lived around the corner...I would come and help you paint...YOU know how much I love doing that!! Might end up with stripes and dots which might not look to bad with those roses!! HAVE FUN!

Julie H said...

What a sweet, sweet baby - and I how blessed you are to babysit her so young. As to where you work-OH MY-my respect for your work has now gone through the roof!

Laura Lea said...

Lesley, I can envision decoupaged style fragments onto those door covers. With inspirational words that also clue you in to what is inside them!? Remember all your birds that started appearing, well you are feathering your nest! I think it is great! Your heart is hatching joy as it fulfills it's need for family time.

Lorri Scott said...

Wow the arccivo looks great. I didn't know about them before. I just went through an office/art space organization and I'm doing that now in my studio that's separate from the house so I wish you luck. It's a lot of work but so worth it when you're all done!

Lorri

Prolix fromla Normandie said...

bonjour!

cool stuffs!

PROLIX

{ThE fReNcH tOuCh}
http://prolix.typepad.fr

Pam Hester said...

Leslie - I'm so happy you're enjoying your Arccivo. I'm one of the inventors and it is soooo exciting to see total strangers buy our product. It's been a roller coaster for the three of us. What started out as a crazy idea on the ride home from a girl's weekend has turned into a starring role on national TV (www.everydayedisons.com) and a product on QVC. You just never know where life will take you. Anyway - Thanks again!!! Pam

Gracehoper said...

Very cool shelves and EXTREMELY cute Julia!