Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Ramblings

sam at the pumpkin patchI always feel like a bad blogger because I do not post any art that I: a) have made, b) am working on, or c) am planning. This is a very good point in my art career. One could say that I have "made it". Everything I do is for publication in books (mine or others), or magazines, TV taping, or new classes - in other words, I am in demand. Because of that demand, I have been travelling and teaching, writing books and writing articles for more years than I can remember. My dream came true. Italy, Australia/New Zealand, TV, cover girl. What more can a girl want? This girl wants time. Time alone. Time in the studio. Time to dig down deep again to the place that birthed those Fragments, oh so long ago.

wishes @thirteenWhen I started on this path, my life was filled with children, a newborn even. Now, some of them are having their own children. Look at dear Sam there in the pumpkin patch with my next tiny granddaughter, Riley Ann Crawford, inside of her. There's Kelly on her 13th birthday, a newborn no more. This daughter, the one I time my art-life by. Was she sent to show me the way? Should I say How time flies...when you're having fun? Trite but true. When I scheduled this next year off, I never knew that I would be spending it with 2 more granddaughters. When did my children grow up? I was there, yet I was too busy to absorb it all. And that's what I want again ~ to really feel in the moment. To have the time to record thoughts and feelings, to create art that springs from my soul and not a deadline.

Don't get me wrong. I love EVERYTHING that has entered my life since I began my journey as an artist. Deep, deep friendships, friends that are such a part of my soul, that I am not complete without them. Friendships I thought I would never experience. The magic of being there when someone in a class or a private session has that aha moment, or when confidence in her self, her creativity, slips into her life - to be present for that, words cannot explain. To know that my work is valued by others, that it resonates with their soul or brings a smile to their face. I have no greater feeling than when I can impart some of the wisdom I have gathered in this life. Two dear friends call me Buddha. Do you know how that thrills me? I have been a seeker all this life, long before I "went public." Seeking the meaning of life, the way to happiness, the "what are we here for" question. It's enough to share myself with my family. it's a blessing and an honor to share it with others.

Friday I leave for St. Louis to teach at the Foundry Art Centre. Second to last trip of the year. I'm really looking forward to seeing a new place. It's the Show Me state as well, and that is what I'll do, show and share. I feel so honored to be the teacher selected to teach there while Quilt national is on exhibit right outside the classroom doors. Quilt National....nows there's another dream that has been on the back burner. Perhaps it's time I bring it to a simmer.

This is not the post I thought I would write when I began, but it's what came out, so it must be right. Success means fulfilling your own dreams, singing your own song, dancing your own dance, creating from your heart and enjoying the journey, trusting that whatever happens, it will be OK. Creating your own adventure! ~ Elana Lindquist

9 comments:

Mimi Jackson said...

Inspiring! I am closer to the beginning of a similar journey, I imagine. Wonderful to hear about what it feels like to be farther along on the journey.

Anonymous said...

I cried again. You write so lovely and you always have such nice things to say. I am excited we got some pictures of my belly in this stage! I love you mom.
Sam

Megan said...

Lesley

You are a wonderful "blogger" - your writing is full of poetry, warmth and charm and adds a dimension to understanding your art and what you have to say to the world. I don't think you have it in you to ramble - you express your ideas so succinctly and clearly.

Life is full of seasons. Sounds like you've been reaping a harvest from many years of hard work. Now it's time lie fallow for a while and then plant some new seeds. Look forward to seeing what pops up in your creative garden in due time.

carolyn said...

all well said. It seems that the older we get the faster time becomes. SO enjoy your time "off" (you know it won't be really any slower) but perhaps less hectic. And play with those grands...

tongue in cheek said...

Wonderful thoughtful and your longing for the simpleness of day to day living is strong. I wish you many happy hours sitting and dreaming and singing to those grandbabies!

Deborah said...

I always think of you as the image transfer queen, or the artist who is really bringing together the two worlds of art quilting and mixed media ... but you are so much more! Thank you for your generosity in sharing your creative spirit.

I love the Foundry Art Center. Have a wonderful time.

Kris said...

Hi! This is my first visit. I read your comments and was enjoying them, when I noticed your books in the sidebar! I LOVE your books! Thank you for being such an inspiration to textile artists everywhere. I have much more confidence in myself when I'm reading your books. I hope confidence is something you can help instill in your grandchildren too. Being a parent (even a grandparent) is such an important job. Enjoy it!

Suzanne said...

Well, you wrote yourself around the corner and came face to face with your answer.
I took my first art class with you, Lesley! A&S in Virginia and you were, and still are, so generous. Maybe it's time to take care of yourself for awhile. No matter what you do, your spirit is out there in your books, articles and, most especially, your art. Take care and enjoy those grandbabies; aren't they the best teachers?
sincerely,
Suzanne G in NC

Bridget Benton said...

I am so glad that you have made the success you have for yourself, and so glad that you are taking time off for yourself . . . to dive back in. I'll miss the chance to take classes with you over the next year - and I look forward to what you have to offer upon your return!