Monday, December 03, 2007

Some Days Are Like That

something I'm working on for my next bookThe wind has certainly stirred things up around here today. Before 11am I had dodged both a fallen wire strung across the road, and a big overstuffed bag of leaves - big, like Santa's sack big - rolling around the Beltway after falling off a truck. Dodged that and the car that swerved to miss it too. Then I get to the hospital where my Mom has returned and had to accost the DR as he tried to dodge me. Is it too much to ask what they are planning for my mother? Two days ago they said she may have multiple myeloma, a form of blood cancer. Naturally we are concerned. He said he has asked a hematologist to order a bone marrow biopsy to confirm the diagnosis, "but sometimes it's bad and you really don't want to know." Well YES, I do! And the fractures in her vertebrae, when will someone do some surgery on that.....that's why she came to the hospital in excruciating pain last Friday. Apparently, thanks to Google, not the doctors, we have learned that the fractures are caused by the disease. I now feel like doctors are the new politicians, they answer questions without saying anything for fear of ???whatever. Can you tell I'm frustrated?

And then to top it off, I thought I lost my debit/credit card and $40. Except that someone used the card this afternoon (I have online banking and was monitoring it while I looked for it.) So I reported that. And the wind still blows. Sorry to be such a downer, I just need to vent. In between all the drama and ill wind, I am working to complete the artwork for my next book. It's still hush, hush but I think you'll like it. There's a sneak preview above. The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over. ~ Aesop

12 comments:

Sequana said...

Yes, some days are like that, and I'm sorry you had one today.

But some days are better, you know. A better one will show up soon.

Fibra Artysta said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. My heart is with you and I am thinking nothing but good thoughts for you and your family. {{hugs}}

Cindy In Carolina said...

The winds of change are blowing my way too. Not good changes either. My husband has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer....so our lives are drastically changing. Yes, there are things you need to know, even tho they are hard. I send warm thoughts your way today.

Cathy Wegner said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. I'll keep her in my prayers. This is an especially bad time to deal with bad news because of the holidays. My daughter-in-law to be is having some major health issues at this time and it is difficult.

claudine hellmuth said...

so sorry to hear about your mom. I am thinking of you! sending hugs!!!!

Rhondi said...

I happened upon your blog for the first time this morning. I know what it's like to get the bad news of cancer, so I'll be praying for you, your mom and all the family. I think I was meant to find your blog so I could be praying for you. I saw the picture of your mom at Thanksgiving. What a sweetheart!

Anonymous said...

Oh Lesley, I('m so sorry about your mom. Thanks goodness you have your art to keep you sane (and to make us smile).
Cate

anna maria said...

I came to your blog today, because I just finished reading and enjoying your article Sew What? in issue #11 of Cloth Paper Scissors. I simply wanted to wish you the best for your Mother. It is so very difficult when a loved one is not well.

Kim said...

I am so sorry about your mom. I lost mine to cancer 27 years ago, and I still miss her. I will keep you both in my prayers. I don't live too far from you, and the weather out here was nasty today, with rush hour tomorrow looking worse. I hope you can stay home. Right now an unexpected day of art sounds good.... Kim

Pamela Taylor said...

Lesley, I am so sorry to hear your mom is having a hard time again. She has been through so much. And isn't it so hard on The Daughter? You are in my prayers.

I am so glad to hear you are working on a new book. Your books are so wonderful---my teachers-- and I look forward to soaking it all in when it is published.

Prayers are up.

Doris A said...

Lesley, I am so sorry to hear about your mother. you all are in my thoughts and prayers.
All the best.....doris

Robyn said...

Felt a little shiver reading this post. My mom also suffered from myeloma and we discovered it at xmas time. It is indeed frustrating when the doctors beat about the bush not wanting to give you straight answers. What the DR needs to know is that we can gather ourselves and decide how we are going to proceed if we know what we are dealing with. I think a lot of the time they themselves are unsure of how to proceed. One day at a time.....thats probably the best way to approach it. You are in my thoughts, Lesley. ((hugs))