Wednesday, January 09, 2008

How Fast Do you Go?

Today I had a thought. My internal motor is always running at max speed. Even when I'm idling, I think my engine runs close to 80 or 90 mph. I think I sleep at 50 mph - no kidding! I wasn't always that way. I used to enjoy just sitting in a nice hot bath, adding more and more hot water until the water heater ran cold. Now, while I adore the feeling of being immersed in a hot bath, I'm usually in & out of there within 5 minutes. I can never sit still long enough for my (rare) nail polish to dry. I'm usually impatient in line at the grocery, although I remind myself that the purpose of standing in line is to teach patience. I just rarely feel laid back - chill, as the kids say. Now I'm not complaining. I do get a lot done. But I just wonder how and when I forgot how to relax. Funny thing is, most people who know me think I'm so relaxed. Well maybe, mentally, maybe on the surface. But inside, I'm revved.

So my question to you is.....how fast is your motor running? Click one of the speeds in the poll above. I'll collect your answers for a week. Maybe I'm not alone.

Sorry - poll over! The top answer was 75-100 mph. More on that later~

8 comments:

Sharon said...

I understand exactly what you mean. I actually have always thought that I go about 110 mph all the time and it is the inside motor that never stops. It is the only way that I can get enough done. But it is never enough to idle the inside motor. I think I have only lately realized that everybody is not churning on the inside at the same speed.

Anonymous said...

Lesley, I'm glad you brought this up... it's showing me just how lost I feel.

brenda bliss said...

Lesley!
How incredible that you bring this up.....my mind is always going so fast-especially artistically wise-that I never seem to accomplish anything. I just had an accident where I broke my ankle last week and cannot walk at all-or drive anywhere,and it is so strange -I'm paralized in a different way. I still haven't done anything, but I have made a list and I promise, right here -right out loud-to create tomorrow! Thank you for the nudge, and letting me see that I am not alone. Slowing down ,
brenda bliss

Patricia J. Mosca said...

My insides go way faster than my outside!! So, I look calm cool and collective...and appear to be at 45...but actually..inside...110!! LOL

Anonymous said...

There is a program for children called "How Does Your Engine Run?" that is supposed to help them learn how to self-regulate. I have a kiddo who has a lot of trouble keeping his engine running at the right speed. In this program they talk about how we all do things to get our engines running at the right speed for the task. Typically, we change our engine speed by giving our bodies sensory input whether it be auditory, visual, tactile, proprioceptive (move body), oral (chew on one's fingernails), or vestibular (swing, spin, etc.).

Learning about this program was fascinating for me because it made me think about what I do to stay regulated. I discovered that I mostly move and get visual stimulation to stay feeling right. It also helped me think about why I have such trouble getting to sleep at night.

Mimi Jackson said...

"Anonymous" has mentioned the exact reason I have learned to slow down. My autistic son's therapists parade in and out of my home all day, and being in tune with him requirees me to slow down and breathe. I have also noticed that my diet has a whole lot to do with it. I am very sensitive to caffiene, but never would have discovered it, had I not stopped drinking cofee when I want to relax!

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

I've come to realize that I can go fast, but it's not my natural speed. It's easy for me to get involved in too many outside projects. I say "yes," get revved up to do the work, and get it done, but it comes at the cost of not focusing on my artwork. I don't want to zoom-zoom-zoom through my life. I feel pressure to have this long list of accomplishments, but I know that my life isn't about that. I'm just starting to embrace my inner turtle.

MargaretR said...

I find this so interesting Lesley. It seems I have only Stop and Go these days, if I do too much, my body warns me and tells me I can't do another single thing. Everything I have been using while I'm working and 'listening' to TV has to be left just as it is and I go to bed. This rarely happens, but when it does I know I'm going too fast.