Tuesday, February 19, 2008

It's a Start

threadartThe problem with cleaning your studio is that it is comprised of a lot of small organizational tasks - little steps that, for the most part, don't amount to much until the whole studio is clean, everything has a place and everything is in its place. For me, I'm not so sure that everything will have a place. In the process of unearthing stuff, I found this empty box that I must have purchased for threads. So I took the time to fill it. In an artful way of course, colors matching, a pleasant composition (line, symmetry, repetition, balance). Making art while making order. I wish all of the tasks were as colorful and artistic.

This cleaning is step one of my return to the studio. I honestly have to say, that after 2+ years of neglect and piles/piles/piles, I can no longer function in there. And did I mention that it is in my bedroom? I can see the light at the end of the tunnel - the soon-to-be empty bedroom that will become my studio, but for now, it's still my bedroom.

last nite's skyI live in a 1930s east coast colonial but marvel of marvels, I have 2 walk-in closets in my bedroom. At least they were built as walk-ins. Until this month, I have not been able to walk into them. So far I can walk into one of them. It had 2 sets of stacking drawers and and 2 old cardboard boxes of papers. One was 99% kids school papers/letters/drawings, the other was a box of things I'd saved - you know the kind...magazine pages, ideas jotted down, snippets of poems, quotes, articles printed out from the Internet - all those things you think it's important to save because you might someday need them. I widdled that box down to a small stack and it was a lovely walk down memory lane.

Then I tackled the drawers. I bought these drawers probably 10 years ago when I first discovered rubber stamping. When we ALL discovered, or more properly, rediscovered it. I have quite a large stamp collection, many never used. I acquired and acquired before I learned something about myself. I don't like to use ready-made stuff. Other than alphabet stamps, I just never got into stamping. I love the designs, but they just never fit in to what I was doing. So here's the deal, dear readers...

As I clean, I am setting aside everything that I have accumulated other the years that I now know I will never use. It's all good stuff, primo, much of it. But over the last 10 years one of the (many) things I have discovered is myself - my artist self, my style. I now know what I like and what I will use. I need to clean out my space to make space, both physical and mental for new ideas, new paths, new art. Once I have gone through the majority of my stash I am going to create Treasure Boxes - whatever will fit into a Priority Mail flat rate box becomes a Treasure Box. There will be several, of that I am certain. I will try to theme them - dolls, angels, grunge, fabric, lace, vintage and new. Whatever, wherever the flotsom and jetsom leads. And there will be books. I have lots of books too. Perhaps a book in each box. We'll see. I'll be listing them on Ebay in the coming weeks and also having a blog giveaway (or two or three) so stay tuned. Things take a bit longer these days because I spend a lot of time staring at Riley.

11 comments:

Adrienne said...

Ooh can't wait for them to be listed. I will be looking out.

Sequana said...

Well, no wonder. Riley is cute as the dickens.....*S*

However, I'm sure gonna be on the ball about watching for eBay items and give-aways too.

Glad to see you enjoying life.

Jeannie said...

First, Riley is adorable, makes you think about getting pregnant - at 50+? - well, maybe not.I love how you learn things about yourself, when you aren't even looking for the lesson. My lesson this week was that I don't like plastic. I'd rather use boxes, suitcases, etc. than buy Rubbermaid boxes. Looking forward to your ebay listing and have allerted all my friends. Now go enjoy that sweet baby. Cheers.

Deborah said...

Well don't stop staring! I bet she changes every day. Miraculous.

I want the grunge box! Sounds like a wonderful theme.

Ahipara Girl said...

Can I have the vintage box? I am sitting with my back to my study which is filled with lopsided collapsed stacks of stuff. The family have given up on me and just step over my stuff these days. Good luck with your cleaning spree. Lots of photos please. Before and after would be great.

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

The most beautiful baby!!!!!! I am trying to clean as well-loaded up sentiments and simple images and took them to a nearby nursing home, along with extra paper. They are having a ball with the stamps! Need to sell and give away some myself!
chris p

Ana Conceicao said...

i know the feeling of too much stuff that "you needed to have" at the time... I used to work in an art supply store, color wheel, in Mclean and working there for five years I accumulated more stamps, paper, paints, pencils, pens, and random stuff than I will ever need. Then came art school, and of course you need more random stuff then, just in case an idea arises at 2 a.m. Well here I am, I live alone have 2 walk in closets full of art things, and a studio full as well. I find that as long as it is organized and can function well it is nice to have all the "stuff". Maybe I could trade you a box of my "stuff" for your "stuff" if you are interested. By the way the baby is cute!

Jo Anne O. said...

Hi Leslie! I wanted to drop over and tell you what a fan I am of your work! I have your book Fabric Memory Books and love it...filled with eye candy and knowledge!

Now that I have found your blog I am going to check back!

By the way, Riley is just adorable!

Carol said...

Riley is just beautiful, I'd be watching her too if she was my grand daughter. I'm trying to get up courage to do what you're doing - tidying up, throwing out, giving away. My work space is my kitchen and I can't cook food in there any more so drastic measures need to be taken. Well, I think...

Jan said...

Lesley, can't wait to see what goodies you pack up! Riley is so cute ... I bet each day she changes, so keep on staring. Lucky you to have her so close.

Contessa Kris said...

Awwww, what a cute little one!
Isn't studio organizing fun? NOT! But it is nice when you get something that looks so pretty, organized. I did buttons recently and its a cornucopia of colors. I'll be looking for your ebay auctions!