Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Little Valentine

How many times can one fall in love? I am happy to say that my heart is bottomless beyond belief, wide beyond imagination and yet filled to overflowing. This grandmother thing is the best deal in town. Two days ago I stopped by to see my trio of granddaughters who have been sick with a variety of February bugs and was greeted by 3 princesses. My camera was at home! Yesterday Julia came by to visit her new cousin and filled the house with smiles and laughter. And then there's Riley. She hasn't said a word, donned her princess duds or even acknowledged my presence, but at 4 days old she has charmed everyone she meets. That's what I love about babies. They put a smile on everyone's face and tear open even the firmest heart.

Sam has always been my fearful child. Heck - everybody is afraid at one time or another, but few are willing to admit it. Having a baby is a pretty scary proposition too. We all know the stories that abound about epidurals not working, 18-24 hr. labors, etc. With all the worried looks and the "I can't do this!" exclamations during her very routine and relatively brief labor, when it was all over and done Sam said, "That wasn't so bad."

I had the priviledge (again) of being in the delivery room, to see the creation of a new family. There is no greater gift or bond created than sharing this moment with your daughter. To watch her passage from daughter to mother. To see the fear fall from her eyes and heart as she becomes the mother, the protector, the one who makes everything allright. And allright it is. Sam's a natural. Riley is thriving, calm, a mellow baby with a rosy complexion and inquisitive stare. People say she looks just like her mother, but when she opens her eyes, hey, there's her father. Marc has what I call see-thru blue eyes, Carribean ocean turquoise. Of course Riley's aren't that color now, but the nursery nurse said she thinks they will sat blue because right now they are clear blue without a hint of grey - and we all know nursery nurses are quite the authority.

OK, enough grandmother stuff. As life slowly eases back to normal I will slowly ease back into the studio. I have some creating to do as well. My next post will bring you up to date on the other side of my life. I can't promise I won't slip in some grandmother photos or blurbs, but for the most part, I'll get back to the art. When I subtitled this blog over 2 years ago The intersection of art & life I didn't know there would be such a traffic jam. Thank you for coming along for the ride.

10 comments:

Adrienne said...

Congratulations, what a beautiful grandbaby!

Ahava Hopps Brooke said...

Include all the grandmom stuff you want! Yes, I love art. But life is even cooler. Glad that you have the joy of a new grandbaby.

beadbabe49 said...

I've been lurking here for a while, but just had to say congratulations on your newest grandchild...what a little sweetie...and your daughter and son in law look pretty ecstatic too!

Allegra Smith said...

To me the birth of a baby is a renewed promise from the Universe that hope is alive and well.

She is a magical being now and I wish for her to grow in love and peace in a world where art, indeed, "washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." Many good wishes to the entire family,

Joyce said...

Congratulations - a beautiful baby! How precious!!

Pamela Taylor said...

Congratulations, Lesley! I am so happy for you and your growing family. My granddaughters just moved 4 hours from me after living out of the country and I am in heaven! It is SO much fun, yes? Your art will have a whole new depth with all this great family time. Happy Valentine's Day!

Ahipara Girl said...

Three generations of women - you are rich. How wonderful that Riley finally arrived, safely and surrounded with so much love.

Julie H said...

Lesley you write so beautifully about the threads within your family, it is art itself. The last picture had me choked up. Beautiful - thank you for sharing.

Carol said...

Congratulations Lesley, she's a true Grand Cherub! What a beautiful family you have.icdujyf

katie said...

beautiful photos, sam looks radiant! congratulations on another beautiful grandbaby.

as far as studio cleaning and purging...i appreciate your point that we must let go of things to make room for others, i'm feeling the need to do this and hearing this message repeatedly from the universe - i just need to take the plunge and let go. i love your idea for boxing up goodies for ebay.