Friday, February 08, 2008

Still Waiting

Due day came and went. Yesterday the DR said, "No change." Sam went home a very disappointed Mom-to-Be. I remember those final days before the big one. I went past my due date with every single pregnancy. Back in "the day" they just waitied it out, didn't induce. I went 16, 17 days with 2 of them. Now they seem to want to induce anyone a week past due date. They checked her on the fetal monitor to make sure Riley was happy in there (the DRs medical term). She was, so Sam's induction is scheduled for next Wednesday, February 13th. That is also my son's birthday and my sister's is Valentine's Day. I'm secretely hoping the labor runs into the 14th, so I get another funny little Valentine.

We've spent the week renewing her drivers license, getting pedicures, shopping for all the February birthdays and enjoying the weekly MDDL (Mother/Daughter/Daughter Lunch. We started that lunch once my teaching/travelling days were over last year. It's a weekly thing now and we are "regulars" at Fuddruckers. It's kid-friendly, not too crowded and we can hunker down in a corner booth and relax. As Kathryn nears the terrible-twos and Julia begins to sit-up and reach for everything in sight, it's getting to be less than relaxing, but still fun. When Kathryn says, "Get down?" we know it's time to say our goodbyes.

I have a lot of art news and announcements to make but I don't want to start something I can't finish right now, so stay tuned. I know it's been a long, long time since I've showed any art, talked about art, made any art and I'm beginning to miss it. I feel like a volcano preparing to erupt. It's all in there and needs to come out. Those of you who stop by hoping to see some art, sorry to disapoint. I'm refilling the well and the spirit. I remarked to my friend that my life reminds me of the Byrds song, Turn, Turn Turn. Listening to it now takes me back. It was #1 in 1965 - 8th grade for me. What were you doing in 1965?

12 comments:

Sequana said...

*S*.....well, I wasn't dancing like that....

I was home with my 3 little kids, before I had the 4th in '66.

Nice song tho, isn't it?

vintagecate said...

Let's see, I was 8, so probably playing Barbies.

Your Mother/Daughter/Daughter lunches sound wonderful. With no sister and my mother gone, and living 800 miles away from my cousins, I very much miss the company of female relatives. Could use a little of that right now.

ninabagley said...

waitimng, waiting, waiting - brings times of peace and quiet and calm, so tell sam to enjoy it now while she can, and GET SOME REST...
they are all beautiful, including you.....xxx

Anna said...

Oh, poor thing. It feels so bad to go past due date. I went only two days and was homicidal!

Megan said...

Hmm - 1965

I was being born!

Hope that's a good omen!

Megan

spiralsun65 said...

Yes, I'm afraid I'm the one who stopped by hoping to see some art! But I'm glad I did stop by because now I'm waiting for news along with everyone else... I bet you're on the edge of your seat the whole time! Good luck.
And I was being born in 1965 too...

Jeannie said...

I remember the song since I was 12 and got a transistor radio for Christmas that year. I think the hardest lesson to learn is patience and waiting for a grandbaby really tests that. Love your MDD lunches, what fun. Have a great weekend. Cheers.

Lisa Cook said...

You have been in my thoughts for a long time, Lesley and you have had more than your share. The continuation of the family certainly will help fill in the empty space left by your mother and friend. I wish for only peace and a lifting of spirits!
By the way, we were in the same grade in 1965. I remember that song well and my first kiss and slow dancing to the Beatles "Yesterday" when we girls always wore dresses and had bangs and read Nancy Drew. Nice memories.
Kind wishes,
Lisa

Patricia J. Mosca said...

I too was in 8th grade..and oh, how I loved that song...You all look so happy...those last remaining days are the hardest...Riley will be here in her own time...mother nature has a way of doing that!! Blessings to all of you...
Pattie

be*mused jan said...

I was in the 7th grade and well remember that tune and the Byrds...a big British invasion fan, I was. I watched your link all the way through and it brought me right back to those days. I even had some rose tinted granny glasses!
Your recent reflections on time passing so quickly have resonated here. My oldest will be 29 tomorrow. It can't be possible.
Best wishes to your daughter for a smooth delivery...soon!

Ahipara Girl said...

Dear Lesley
I stop by often having come to know Nina through her blog and seeing that you both visited New Zealand last year. I enjoy your writing, and find nothing lacking despite the absence of art. Once the art is viewed, there is something more interesting about the person who makes the art. You share things of value. After all your best creations have to be those beautiful daughters and grandkids. So be encouraged. I enjoy reading about the woman behind the art. The art will come when it is ready, much like this new baby, it is all in the timing.

Plain Jane said...

ah, 1965. I was a freshman in high school, my boyfriend was a senior and he drove a red corvette...And I do remember dancing like that! HA, I probably still do!
congrats on the lovely new gb!!
xoxo