Saturday, March 01, 2008

Arting

A tapas r TAfter my pity party post, I stayed home Thursday and did some arting. That's my new work for it. My daughter texted and asked me to come over and to be brief I said "I'm arting." When you have 4 daughters between the ages of 13 and 28, you do a lot of text messaging on your cell phone. Sounds stupid I know, but that's how young people communicate today and now I'm in the habit too. I digress.

I'm a big fan of Nike's motto, Just Do It. So I did it. I set up the dining room table for a stash building paint day. I use the layer system. After my protective layer of felt and plastic go do, I place a sheet of watercolor paper on the bottom, ten a yard of fabric and finally some Lutradur. As I paint the top layer of Lutradur, painted seeps through to the fabric and then onto the watercolor paper. I remove each layer as I am done and each underneath layer is already well on its way. The random patterning that the layering produces is better than anything I could devise on my own. I love the serendipity of it all.

I could talk about fabric painting, I could talk about studio space, but instead, I'll refer you to 2 other interesting and excellent posts on both and get my butt back to arting. It's Saturday and the whole day awaits me. So visit here and here.

PS. You too can create words with Flickr photos here.

1 comment:

judy coates perez said...

So funny, I was clicking on your "interesting posts" links and jumped when my page popped up, I wasn't expecting that, lol.

thanks!