Sunday, March 09, 2008

This Could Be The Start of Something...

A favorite theme of mine, more like a lament, is that time moves too swiftly. Oh to be a child again, where Sundays dragged on f o r e v e r. And to make it worse, the clocks really did jump ahead an hour today. Noon already? It's enough to make a girl cry.

It's been one of those weeks where you feel like you accomplish nothing, but you've been busy every minute. I know you know the feeling. I have to tell you though, cleaning up the studio and weeding out the unneeded, the unloved and the unwanted has become a very creative act. What I thought was random flotsam and jetsam is actually falling into neat little themed collections. I find it most creative to gather these items together, like one of those dried soup mixes - just add water and cook 30 minutes. I see little projects at every turn - "Wow, I could do THAT,"Aha, wouldn't that look good together," "Oh, there's the beginning of a great piece there." The temptation is great to keep it all, but I know myself. I'll never get around to all those projects that dance in my head. So I pass it on to you (or you, or you). The two boxes up for auction this week are 1)Black & White & Some Red All Over, and 2) Gypsy Lore. Check em out here

Here's how fast time flies. Riley will be one month old tomorrow, weighing in at 10 lbs. She's long and lean and the easiest baby I've met in a long while. She knows me, yes she does. She'll stare at me a while and then break out into a grin that says, "I know you!" Really. I've always known that babies can smile from Day 1.

Wednesday I'm off to St. Charles for my 4-day mini vacation in Laurie Doctor's class. I need some 'me' time, a creative push and some thinking outside the box. One way to expand your creativity is to take a class in something outside your medium or your comfort zone. Sure, I can paint, but I don't feel very comfortable doing it. Not like fabric, my old friend. My plan is to incorporate the painting and use of text that we will explore in Laurie's class into my fabric art work. I don't want to put too much meaning or importance onto this class, but I am hoping that it will be the start of a whole new body of work. No pressure there! I'll report back in about a week with lots of photos.

2 comments:

Bridget B. said...

I too have spent the entire week doing much and accomplishing little ... I even had a dream last night to the same effect (it involved trying to hang a shower curtain in a college dorm and being up all night trying to do it and being late for class and - well, you get the idea).

Perhaps it's the time of year . . . my studio - while uncleaned - is also full of items that have collected together in little project tidal pools crying "me! me!" It could be a creative surge, but it just feels overwhelming when placed next to all the daily stuff that I have to do . . .

ok, thanks for letting me vent!

Vintage Cate said...

I had the whole weekend spread out in front of me and....there's still so much to be done! And then I look at that precious baby with so much time to sleep, dream, and get used to this world. I could look at her all day.