Thursday, April 10, 2008

Art & Reality TV


Wow, yesterday's You Tube video just disappeared so I deleted that post. Lucky those of us that got to see it before it vanished. So here's some more eye candy to replace it. Pellon asked me to make them some Lutradur samples to take with them when they make sales calls to places like Michael's and Joann because the buyers don't understand what it is. So here is the sample book I made for them. I used pretty basic techniques as they requested, "nothing too arty, the buyers are not necessarily artists or crafters." Still it takes me a while to figure out what to do and then to execute it. Nothing is ever really a "quickie." Nor should it be. As they say on those talent reality shows, each time you are on stage it must be the performance of your life. There's no slacking off. If you give, you give 100, no - 110% every time you perform. And creating art is a performance. Now I agree that not everything I do looks like I gave 110%, but I did. Each time I did the best that I could under the circumstances in the time allotted. We can't all be or make winners every time.

With this new day job babysitting Riley, I have been watching more TV. When you have a babe in one arm and a bottle in the other, there's not much else you can do during those 20 minute feedings. (Although I'm still trying to find a way to do something that doesn't require hands - any suggestions?) So yesterday I plopped down and turned the TV on. Someone had left it on BRAVO, so I ended up watching Step It Up & Dance. American Idol, Project Runway for dancers. OK, now listen. I really do like these reality talent shows and I'll tell you why. They are all artists trying to make a dream come true. I can relate to that. The situations are manipulated, the camera is always running and sponsors and networks control more than we know, but ultimately, in the end, these are real people who earned their spots with hard work and talent, artists working hard, busting their a*#, to follow their dream. Would you measure up were you given that chance of a lifetime?

10 comments:

Carol said...

Lutradur is completely new to me but seeing your book of examples makes me want to get some and have a go. There's nothing like a visual for inspiration.

lyric said...

I spent five years nursing babies. I kept stacks of art books by the comfy couch to browse through. Listened to audiobooks. I suppose it takes two hands to feed a bottle but you can prop it for a second to turn a page.

I also kept a sketchbook to take notes in. No detailed drawings during those times but the sketchbooks did provide just enough room for remembering ideas and inspirations. Fill the well so you can draw from it when you have time.

I've developed quite a dislike for watching TV although I too like the reality-talent shows. I still only get the chance to sit down with one once every few weeks.

Anonymous said...

Books on Tape or CD!! They are my salvation when I work in the studio and would be if anyone ever trusted me with their baby -- my friends would all be certain either I'd let the dog take charge and lick their baby to death or that the baby would return covered in multicolored dye!! (I tend to let the little ones get involved with as much creativity as they can take)

I love the library as a source for the Books on CD/Tape but another good source is Cracker Barrels, especially when I travel cross country. You buy the book at one, return it at another and they refund you the purchase price less $3 per week. Not bad.

Back to the studio....

Ann -- Silks With Attitude!

Kim said...

Leslie I love your site! Yes, I can tell you give 110%, so no worries. I took a class from you at G Street, and when ever I teach transfers, I do the fingers-on thing that you did with us. I hadn't been successful until I touched it... now I walk around and tell them about that class. Hope you'll come back soon! K

Catherine said...

I have a sheet of lutrador and don't know what to do with it...this is lovely. Would you be willing to share how you created the lovely page with the house on it?? It's gorgeous as are all the pages...

Jan said...

Lesley, I really love stopping by your blog, especially after a while, and immersing myself in your thoughts and pictures. You are a great teacher and I thank you for allowing us into your world. I am inspired to continue to feed my creative soul.

my croft said...

Thanks for posting this appreciation of the hard work and talent that the reality competitors put in and have. (I get a lot of eye-rolling when I mention it.)

I've been thinking about your question -- gumption in the face of opportunity. I have not a glimmer of an answer, but it's a good question and, for me, timely.

soar high, land gently,
melanie

Cambria said...

I just had to tell you that I love your blog so much!!! I just started a blog and a shop on ETSY for my handmade jewelry!
I am 12 and I really love looking at mixed media art work for inspiration. Your work is so awesome!!!
-Cambria

Deb Plapp said...

Love your blog. It would be great to win, but will check out your ebay. Enjoy your Riley!

lutradur meter length said...

Lutradur is an interesting surface to digitally print and manipulate.

lutradur meter length