Thursday, April 03, 2008

Making Meaning

Thank you all for your kind words, insightful comments and gentle admonishments to stay the same, be myself (who else could I be anyway?), and share my thoughts with you. I think all of us here in blog land need to know someone is listening. As I have said before, I would blog no-matter-what, it has become my journal. In fact, I think I read somewhere that you can have your blog entries made into a book. That might make a nice gift to myself someday, for there is nothing like holding your thoughts in your hands, the tactile pleasure of page turning, the marking of the text with stars, underlines and exclamation points (those aha insights I mentioned in the last post), marks that say, I was here, I read this and it has meaning for me. Have you ever gotten a used book with such marks in it, or perhaps borrowed one from a sister or a friend? It's doubly meaningful to not only read the book for your own insights, but to learn more about the other person by discovering what rings true for them.

I'm obsessed with making and finding meaning. This morning, as I added yet another quote to my 95 page file of quotes, I couldn't help but get lost in the words again - universal answers and insights delivered so sweetly and succinctly in a line or two. And I'll leave you with that quote, a line of poetry from Mary Oliver, while I go make meaning in my studio.


How could there be a day in your whole life
that doesn't have its splash of happiness?
Mary Oliver

6 comments:

beadbabe49 said...

mary oliver is one of my favorite poets...thanks for another fine quote from her...

Sue B said...

I really enjoy visiting your blog, don't change a thing!

kelly said...

Lesley,
Being a blogger myself, I know the feeling if anyone is out there...
I read your blog all the time, but never comment. I e-mailed you awhile back about my fabric books and quilting and it what so wonderful to get a reply from you. Your pictures and quotes continue to inspire me. I hope to take a class from you when you are back traveling around.

Nikki said...

I love the quote. That is something to remember when the rains come!

my croft said...

I was just thinking -- being yourself also means feeling the need to move on and up and out, to break new ground. A couple of friends/mentors are feeling rumbly in that way. I'm a beginner in making art, so I'm looking forward to the day when I have so clearly established a style and a body of work that I feel I need to fire up the forge and reshape things from the elemental level.
:-)

Lynda Boltz said...

Hi, Lesley! Thanks for your open "thinking out loud" in your blog, and thanks again for writing the interview with me in CLOTH PAPER SCISSORS! I loved the article and how the magazine printed it, including how well they used my art! Please visit my blog again soon to see my latest projects, and I hope to cross paths with you again in the near future! Since we are NOT off to Italy, I am going to England, and I cannot wait -- as I get closer to the trip (May 30) I'll be posting all my plans on my blog! Lynda Boltz (lyndaboltzart.blogspot.com)