Friday, May 30, 2008

Synchronicity

This book appeared in my email box this morning - Standing at Waters Edge. It was in an email newsletter I get from Creativity Portal (excellent, BTW). Like I need another book. But of course this one was very timely and the fact that it appeared right after yesterday's blog post, well I had to investigate. So I read an excerpt on the Creativity Portal website and there it was WHAM! - words meant just for me:
"I suppose that I have sacrificed my career somewhat by choosing to prioritize my wife and kids. Maybe I would produce more art if I isolated myself into my work.”

“Loren,” I said, “maybe you have chosen to prioritize your family because you have the strength to connect with them as well as with your art. Some artists seclude themselves in their studios because they are unable to immerse in relationships. They are too frightened of intimacy. I view your lifestyle as a sign of your strength, and I believe that your relationships with your wife and children support and enrich your ongoing capacity to create"
It brought tears to my eyes. Just as Coach Alyson Stanfield said to me, family trumps all.

There are also some very moving comments you are leaving in response to yesterday's post. Again, Blogger doesn't provide me with your email address, so I cannot respond to you individually, but do know that they are most appreciated and helpful. I am not alone on my journey. I am beginning to realize that I am doing exactly what I am meant to be doing right now. I am actually finding the creative bone in this process of cleaning, paring down, subtracting the essential from the mounds. What I have is over 10 years of things I acquired while searching for myself and my voice. These things I needed, or thought I needed, have done their job and it is time to pass them on. They are still of value and importance, but they have finished their work here. I brings me joy to pass them along, with a secret wish that they will do their magic with you, just as they did with me.

Here are more Fragment words from 1999 - eerie - they could have been written last night...
Ever since I was a girl of 10 or 11, I have had the feeling that there was something really important I was supposed to contribute to this lifetime. For the last 35 years, I have been in complete mystery as to what i was supposed to do. I have worried that maybe I missed my chance, or maybe I am already doing it and don't recognize the worth of my actions.

In the last year or so, I feel like I am getting a lot closer to this important thing. In my journey to find my purpose, I have realized what is meaningful and real and true for me. I have discovered what the important things are in my life. I think that sharing what I have learned brings me closer to my authentic gesture. It feels right.

7 comments:

claudine hellmuth said...

wow! i want that book too!

Thien-Kim aka Kim said...

Wow. That's profound. I have a 2.5 year old and feel guilty (weekly if not daily) for not being more active in my business (not art related), but I think this applies to me too. There's nothing wrong with putting my energy and focus to my family. Thanks for sharing this.

stephanie t. said...

"Ever since I was a girl of 10 or 11, I have had the feeling that there was something really important I was supposed to contribute to this lifetime. For the last 35 years, I have been in complete mystery as to what i was supposed to do. I have worried that maybe I missed my chance, or maybe I am already doing it and don't recognize the worth of my actions."

I made a journal entry years ago...nearly spot-on to yours. At age 39, I knew my mission...I knew my purpose and felt connected, successful, confident. I worked hard to get to that point...Half a lifetime. I gave it up for marriage and two small children. 16 years later find myself feeling lost and wondering if I missed my chance at the greatness I felt destined to achieve. Not that the work I do at home has no significance...It just isn't the same. I am afraid that my time will run out...

Thanks for this post...I'm fumbling for words here...but it helped me to discover that I cannot do this alone.

Robinww said...

LOVE Teesha's work - and yours too, of course. I'd love to have that book.

Sheila said...

Oh my gosh, Lesley!! Yes, the book sounds good, but what you wrote REALLY struck a chord. I am going through the same thing! Long story but I'm giving away tons of products and antiques because I am *done* with that. Moving on, turning a junk room into a studio. Hurray for both of us. Can I use your words as a quote on my blog? This part "I am not alone on my journey. I am beginning to realize that I am doing exactly what I am meant to be doing right now. I am actually finding the creative bone in this process of cleaning, paring down, subtracting the essential from the mounds. What I have is over 10 years of things I acquired while searching for myself and my voice. These things I needed, or thought I needed, have done their job and it is time to pass them on. They are still of value and importance, but they have finished their work here. I brings me joy to pass them along, with a secret wish that they will do their magic with you, just as they did with me".

You said here what is in my heart and mind.

Rosie said...

When you say that you believe you are doing what you are meant to be doing right now, you struck such a chord with me! I too have come to believe that there is always a reason for the road we travel, the people whose paths we cross and the 'universal' or cosmic timing intertwined in our existence(s). I make 'art' whenever I can and have given myself permission to delay, procrastinate and prioritise - family comes first!!

Anonymous said...

Great Add Up!
Experts Chat