Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Playing Catch-Up

Oh where to begin. We lost our power last Wednesday, for a total of 36 hours, then had to wait until Monday am to get our Internet straightened out and back online. I didn't mind being incommunicado, I'm used to that when I teach/travel but it was interesting to be home and realize how dependant I was on it for the simplest of things. And of course my husband was unable to work at all which frustrated him (and his clients, I'm sure) no end. To top it off, our air conditioning went on the fritz and we have been in a huge heat wave, code red alert here in DC. Fortunately our long-time AC man came out Sunday morning and put us out of our misery. I can't remember if it was Saturday or Sunday morning that I awoke @ 6:30 am to this mist-filled morning, the rising sun casting a golden glow on the fog.

But now life is back to normal - both computers and AC humming (we do so love the quiet of a neighborhood without power, all velvety black and peaceful).


Last night was the girls night out we have been trying to schedule since the Sex & the City movie opened. FINALLY something happened in my favor after the rough week we had. Their computers said my debit card had expired but you could see the 2012 expiration date stamped right there on the card, so she just comped me 2 free passes! Hooray. It was nice to have the time with my daughters and DIL without the babies. Daddys did that duty.

So since we last talked, I completed my Ebay auctions of all my zines and sent off over 40 boxes of fabric from my stash. I am physically and mentally unburdened. Now to turn to the craft books. They are rather awkward to ship and tedious to sell online, so my first stop will be the secondhand bookstore. Perhaps I will make a list of them and if anyone wants one I can sell it to you. I also have almost a complete set of the first 4? years of Somerset Studio including their Premier issue. That's a lot of magazines and a lot of weight, but if any of you dear readers are interested, let me know. Media Mail rates are not too bad.

By a random number generator, THE WINNER OF PLAY ZINE IS: Evidence of an Artistic Life. Congratulations! Drop me an email with your name and address and I'll wisk it on it's way. There will be more giveaways. I'm still playing catch-up here and will have more photos and stuff tomorrow I hope.

3 comments:

Thien-Kim aka Kim said...

Sorry to hear about your loss of power. I'm your neighbor in Silver Spring, and boy, am I glad the heat wave is over! Funny how I never thought of 85 degrees F as cool.

Thien-Kim aka Kim said...

I also meant to add that I'm in your predicament when it comes to magazines. I have 10 years of Threads Magazine. From when they first started publishing and still had knitting and weaving patterns in it. To keep or to get rid of? I can't decide yet so I'm trying not to think about them.

Quiltblocktour said...

Wow, what a gorgeous foggy picture! The leaves are so green it's unbelievable :)

-Katie
www.quiltblocktour.blogspot.com