Friday, June 13, 2008

To Paint or Not to Paint

Riley, Model in ReposeI found this drawing yesterday while cleaning out a closet. Did you know I could draw? Sometimes I have to remind myself. You may have assumed, because I use photos in my work, that I don't draw. Well you are right in a way. I can draw, but I don't draw because it just takes me too much time. I want/need a more instant result and gratification. Riley, Still Life with Lemons I know if I practiced daily that I would become faster, more sure of myself, develop a style

When I took all of my painting and drawing classes I was obsessed with realism and a classical style. My hero was Ken Marlow, a master of realism that I discovered at Hollis Taggart, a local DC gallery (now in NYC). He has the ability to suffuse a still life with such light, beauty, emotion and well, magic, that it still takes my breath away, makes me swoon. I once wrote to him asking what colors of paint he used,Ken Marlow, Crimson & Teal thinking that if I had the same ones, I too had a chance of someday painting such beauty. He was kind enough to answer, a handwritten letter I still keep for inspiration (before email).

I am pretty proud of the still life with lemons & pomegranates I did so many years ago, proud enough to hang it in my living room. I gave up oil painting after Kelly was born. It took time and I didn't have any. I miss it. There is nothing like the smell of linseed oil to stimulate my desire. Once you've painted with oils, acrylics truly seem like the plastic that they are. I know the myriad of reasons for using them and of course it would make more sense, but oil is just so darn sensual.


Fabric? Paint? Realism? Abstract? These are the questions I ponder. Do both? Combine them? Focus, Lesley, focus.


And now a word from our sponsor, Riley Crawford. 4 months old this week. Her hair is not really that red, but she really is that cute.

11 comments:

Adrienne said...

I was always afraid to try oils, they were so intimidating to me. Riley is too cute!

Carol said...

Sounds like the universe is pointing you in a direction... hmm!!There is nothing like the smell of oil paints. I love the texture, that wonderful velvety feel of them being applied to a canvas. I think the universe is waiting for you to hatch something splendid!!

Loretta said...

1. PAINT PAINT PAINT PAINT

2. RILEY = CUTE CUTE CUTE

3. PAINT PAINT PAINT PAINT

burgundybelle said...

Hi,
After seeing your wonderful paintings and drawing, I dug out my 26 year old portfolio of work from my art classes and guess what? I'm going to use some of that stuff in my current work! Thanks for reminding me.

Rhonda said...

Great drawing and painting. And cute little person!

Sharon said...

Oh my, something you said rang such a loud bell for me. "...nothing like the smell of linseed oil to stimulate my desire" That sensory memory never goes away. Get a whif and I'm back there painting with oil. I never thought I would even try acrylic, and here I am doing it. You know what? Acrylic painting helps in the "time" department. It is the good thing about acrylic, but if you have ever painted with oil...it's the bad thing.
When you have more time in a couple of weeks, I encourage you to get some acrylic and just play with it.

alex s said...

Oh my! These are incredible! It goes without saying why your work is so beautiful, you have the soul of a poet and a painter's eye! (I said it anyway.:-)

QuiltingFitzy said...

Oh, but what is really cute? The Daddy is really lookin' at his girl.

Wynn Studio said...

Ahhhhh.... Painting!

My father wants me to take classes at the Schuler School here in Baltimore http://www.schulerschool.com/

But time is tight for me right now...

I am desperate to learn to properly paint like the masters. I share your passion for it. I have never been properly trained and, well, it is all I have been thinking about lately too... funny how this seems to happen...

Anyway- So good to see you- and DO PAINT again. If only for a few days this fine Summer... and if only to smell the paints...

Thinking of you...
XoxoxoX
J a n e

Pallas said...

Your realism stilllife is stunning! What a talented person you are. When visiting a museum I especially enjoy the stilllife paintings and also portraits. The portraits not for the people themselves, but rather the clothing they are wearing. I am intriqued by the life like look of the lace and other fabrics often overlooked in these wonderful treasures.

Don't give up painting entirely - you are much too talented to do that.

Zinnia said...

Dang! I wish I could paint like that! I also really like your fabric creations. Adding you to my blog! ooooxxxx Zinnia