Friday, July 04, 2008

Studio Relocation

Starting tomorrow, this artist is relocating her studio at the edge of the ocean. Temporarily. It's our annual family vacation and this year we are going to Bethany Beach, Delaware for 2 weeks. Bliss. Rain or shine, I'll be in heaven, surrounded by my 6 children, 5 granddaughters, father, sister, the sons-daughter and brother-in-law, and one serious girlfriend. At peak, when all the guys are in residence (you know, the men have to go back and actually WORK for a while), there will be 18 of us spread over 2 houses. This year I've graduated to the quiet house with the other adults and singles. All the young moms have taken over my usual duties of planning meals, bringing sheets and towels, setting up the house, etc and I think I may actually have time to kick back, think deep thoughts and relax. And I'm not working on a book this summer for a change.

Of course, in my mind, a vacation would not be complete without my art. I will be working on my samples for next years classes. I like working at the beach because the usual distractions of home are not present. Beach or art? Both!

Yesterday, while cleaning out yet another large closet, I chanced upon several buried, unfinished projects. It's always a hard decision whether to keep them intact in the hope of someday finishing them (I know, who am I kidding?) or dismantling them. There was one I easily knew I would not finish and as I unpinned the fabric I started creating Fragments again ~ little piles of fabric that begged for a photo and a quote. It's been about a year since I have created any. I have always considered them to be excellent sketchbook-type exercises in color, proportion, composition. I can't resist the call of fabric. And now I am ready to create my own. I know there will be a struggle to produce what I envision - and at this point I'm not even sure I know what my vision is. But I do know this: the vision will not come to light unless I am actively working to create it.

So kick back, relax, soak up the summer sun (or for you readers Down Under, snuggle up) and enjoy your July. Make this the month to try something new. Mine will start off with a bang...literally, as the fireworks reign overhead tonite.

I love people. I love my family, my children...but inside myself is a place where I live all alone and that's where you renew your springs that never dry up.
~ Pearl S. Buck

Ultimately, my hope is to amaze myself. The anticipation if discovering new possibilities becomes my greatest joy.
~ Jerry Uelsmann

8 comments:

nina said...

i envy you, your two weeks of utter relaxation and familial bliss. enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! xxx

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Isn't it great to get that change of scenery for a while? I've been prepping a small sketchbook, just for our family trip. Such happy anticipation, packing art things for vacation!

Elizabeth Parsons said...

My heart made a little flutter just now- I've just finished packing and thought I would look at my 'usual' blogs before bedtime...we are leaving in the morning for our annual trip to Bethany Beach, DE! How funny is that! I've packed all of my paints and plan on spending my days on the beach painting and reading. My sister was an infant the first year we went to Bethany and she is now 61. Someone in my family has gone just about every year since. I raised my kids going there and now my granddaughter has fallen under the spell of Bethany...and so it goes! Have a blessed week at the beach! I know I will be having Dickie's ice cream and Fisher's caramel corn!
eBeth - (we'll be on 3rd Street).
- and free wifi at the Baja cafe, so of course I'll be bringing my laptop!

lizzieb said...

It is so wonderful as our children reach the age of being in charge!So nice to be able to sit back and watch, enjoy and marvel that we raised these kids who were once little babies!

judy coates perez said...

oh it sounds like bliss.

lizart said...

I haven't read your blog for a while so I was excited to jump in and catch up on everything I missed. I have to tell you that your blog is a gift - I especially loved hearing your thoughts on finding your voice and about the joys/challenges of family (notice joy takes top billing!)Thank you for sharing yourself with fellow artists. Have a magnificent vacation.

alex s said...

Oh! it feels like the makings of a memoir! I love the idea of a tumble of people all together in time and space...and at the beach...what could be better.

I look forward to reading (and seeing!) how it all went.

Joy Logan said...

I love Bethany and Rehoboth quiet nice Ocean towns bet it was fabulous.